Can I come as a tourist, stay as rentista?

Of all the affordable places in the world, I singled out BsAs because it was billed as very European and also because I was familiar with the language. But now that I'm being told that it's European-ness is mostly limited to the architecture, and that it's affordability isn't really what it once was, I'm not seeing the benefits so much.

The reason I was preparing for my first visit to be long-term (two years) was because there's not much difference in how I'd move somewhere for 3-6 months or 2 years. If I decided it wasn't right after 3 months, I'd move back, and if I decided it was right after 3 months, I'd stay where I was.

But again, that may have become a moot point. I may end up staying here, and put off travel till I have more disposable income.

I think the crime is a lot worse in BsAs than it is in NYC, Paris or other major cities. And I would say I've definitely seen an uptick in crime in the lat 6 months. Last year, I would walk alone at night on my way home from restaurants, etc. Now - I won't. I am the only one of my expat friends that has not been robbed. I have had 2 friends stabbed during muggings in the last month - one for a watch in Las Canitas & the other for a bicycle in San Isidro.

I'm not an alarmist, I take precautions and knock on wood, have had no problems as of yet. I don't carry a lot of cash on me, I don't wear expensive jewelry when I'm out and about, I don't frequent tourist areas to avoid pick-pocketing and I don't take my laptop with me to many places anymore. I moved here from NY & take "city precautions" and as I said, I have had no problems. But I also assume it can happen at any time.

Buenos Aires is an amazing, wonderful city & there are lots of perks to living here. BUT it is not the bargain that it once was - I would say it's more expensive than most mid-sized US cities and living here without a visa, DNI, etc is challenging (you can't open a bank account, buy a car, sign a long-term lease, etc).

Come & see if you like it & then make up your mind.

citygirl said:
I think the crime is a lot worse in BsAs than it is in NYC, Paris or other major cities. And I would say I've definitely seen an uptick in crime in the lat 6 months. Last year, I would walk alone at night on my way home from restaurants, etc. Now - I won't. I am the only one of my expat friends that has not been robbed. I have had 2 friends stabbed during muggings in the last month - one for a watch in Las Canitas & the other for a bicycle in San Isidro.

I'm not an alarmist, I take precautions and knock on wood, have had no problems as of yet. I don't carry a lot of cash on me, I don't wear expensive jewelry when I'm out and about, I don't frequent tourist areas to avoid pick-pocketing and I don't take my laptop with me to many places anymore. I moved here from NY & take "city precautions" and as I said, I have had no problems. But I also assume it can happen at any time.

Buenos Aires is an amazing, wonderful city & there are lots of perks to living here. BUT it is not the bargain that it once was - I would say it's more expensive than most mid-sized US cities and living here without a visa, DNI, etc is challenging (you can't open a bank account, buy a car, sign a long-term lease, etc).

Come & see if you like it & then make up your mind.
I

I think you are pretty close to the mark on crime. With reasonable precautions you should be alright providing you are in a safe area, that for today but this could change. The situation could deteriorate if the economic situation worsens there. Its worse than a lot of the people here think because a lot of expats generally don't venture out of known safe areas.

Crime can be violent there particularly if you resist. If someone does try to rob you, give it up. Your life is worth more than your wallet.

I personally know of two family that suffered home invasions in the last 6 months. In one the father had a gun held to his head and the 12 year old daughter had a knive held to her throat until the thieves were convinced they had everything of value in the house. After the assault the father went to the police and waited three hours to file a report. After three hours of waiting he complained and the police became angry with him for disturbing them, he gave up and went home. Moral of the story if you do have a problem there you are on your own.

I personally never had any problems in Argentina but I was always careful.
I generally didn't venture out at night unless it was to known safe areas. When I came home at night we had private security guards from the time we left the autopista until we entered our gated and guarded neighborhood.

I was a passenger in a vehicle once when a person approached the car with objective of robbing us. The driver produced a pistol and persuaded the would be robber to try elsewhere.

Just posting here to bring the thread back to the home page for simonmicheal and others who are considering becoming expats here...

Greetings to all!

Can I come as a tourist, stay as rentista?

Is this questions answered here? Can anyone please clarify if a visitor can apply for rentista already being in Argentina and having all documents required for application? Thanks :)

Quote: Can I come as a tourist, stay as rentista?

hay said:
Is this questions answered here? Can anyone please clarify if a visitor can apply for rentista already being in Argentina and having all documents required for application? Thanks :)

Yes.

I think if your main deciding factor is cheapness, it's not the place to be (though its doable in the short term if a great experience abroad is what you're after). Most tourist rentals/rooms are in dollars. I think the average room now is around US$500/month from what I've seen...maybe 350/400 for something basic. If you cook for yourself, its pretty cheap. If I do something from scratch, my husband and I can usually eat very well on about 40/50 pesos per day - sometimes including a cheap bottle of wine if I do a pasta dish (and I don't eat meat). If, on the other hand, you want to eat out a lot, I rarely see a multi-course lunch special for under 40 pesos (and that's usually somewhere mediocre) and a basic dinner out is likely to be around 60 I'd say. For me, beer is just as expensive here as the UK and a decent cocktail (one not made with something that tastes like paint stripper) is 30 pesos upwards...
I'd also check your facts as to the rentista visa...I'm sure I read a thread some months ago saying that the minimum had gone up (to something like 8,000 pesos?).

mini said:
:

1. Personal safety: Europe is extremely safe. The dangerous places are the exception.

OK, I don't want to enter this debate, because only you can judge whether you will be happy here, but EUROPE exteremly safe? Nowhere in the modern world is extemely safe.
My cousin got his head stoved in in London for his computor bag. He had come from Johannasburg beliveing Europe was safe.
I personally got robbed in Madrid on my first visit.
And if you look at my face you will see the distortion in my nose due to all the fights I have been in in rural England.
I believe Buenos Aires is safe to walk around and use the buses even late at night, but, as in any big city you must use caution. Not flash your Rolex and wallet full of dollars, when you go out do it preferably in groups. And always watch you bags and valuables.
Go anywhere believing you are safe and you will soon become a victim, but if you excercise caution you can be safe anywhere.

pdxuser said:
Of all the affordable places in the world, I singled out BsAs because it was billed as very European and also because I was familiar with the language. But now that I'm being told that it's European-ness is mostly limited to the architecture, and that it's affordability isn't really what it once was, I'm not seeing the benefits so much.

The reason I was preparing for my first visit to be long-term (two years) was because there's not much difference in how I'd move somewhere for 3-6 months or 2 years. If I decided it wasn't right after 3 months, I'd move back, and if I decided it was right after 3 months, I'd stay where I was.

But again, that may have become a moot point. I may end up staying here, and put off travel till I have more disposable income.

At the risk of upsetting all the N Americans again "Don't be a typical Yank who never leaves his country" :pget your ticket and come on down. You and only you can tell whether Buenos Aires is for you.
If you don't like it, what have you lost? a few hundred dollars in airfare? You will have had a life experience that you will always remember and just maybe it will encourage you to travel more.
Death bed regrets are always about what you never did, not the mistakes you made along the way.

Back