Can I Live There With This Money?

GGood to know. I am mostly looking forward to live in Barrio Norte, Villa Crespo, Almagro or Palermo.

Hope I can do it with my pay.

I am not looking to save money being paid in pesos, that wouldn't be very realistic maybe...

Of course I will buy some dollars here and there to have some money that has buying power in a case of emergency (I also have a decent money reserve in Brasil), but I am mostly looking to live in a different culture because I believe that maybe it will help me to develop as a person in ways it would be harder for me to do if I don't ever leave my country to start a new life.

Excellent reasons for coming. Hope to see you around.

Nothing is without risk but you're asking all the right questions and like Phillip above says, you have excellent reasons for coming. Do it! You'll be fine...

Here in Brasil taking a bus at lets says 2-4AM is very dangerous. Is this relatively safe in BsAs? If so I don't mind taking it, actually prefer it.

Hard to say, depends on the area you're in. If I'm waiting at a bus stop late at night and there are no other people walking around the area, I'm much more likely to take a cab. But I haven't found the buses to be extremely dangerous (aside from pickpockets and whatnot) - the waiting might be more dangerous.

Busses are fine but I never took them at night just b/c why take the chance.

If your salary is bruto, I just did a quick estimate and assuming a salary of 23K a month, you'll take home about 16500 after taxes & mandatory contributions. 16500 for a married couple without kids and without rent is certainly enough to allow you a comfortable middle class life style. HOWEVER, I have no idea on costs of school for masters - you should check that as that might change things.

Hello everyone,

My company wants to relocate me to Buenos Aires. I would be going with my wife and we don't have kids. I expect to receive a salary between 20-25k pesos + rent (at around 6-8k month).

Is this money enough for us 2 to live comfortably in Buenos Aires assuming she won't be able to work and would probably be studying (master degree and I would pay for that at UBA).

By comfortably I mean, average to good neighborhood, eating out 4 times a week, going to theaters, bars etc

I had a similar deal when I first moved here 7 years back. It was fine for me and my other half, who also wasn't working initially. We were late 20s and lived comfortably.

What makes things expensive though, it the accommodation situation. Your rent allowance will cover a nice (not extravagant) apartment in a nice area, with a standard local 2 year contract. It will come unfurnished though, and furnishing a place costs a lot of money. Basic things like a bed, fridge, TV, sofa, kitchen things etc - kitting out a house costs a lot of money. You can bargain hunt, explore la provincia and pick up amazing antique design pieces and have them restored for very little - but these aren't options available to you when you first arrive. So expect to spend a lot of money settling in and getting comfortable. Bring as much as you can with you - electricals, kitchenware, linens - anything you can cram into suitcases. And bring dollars to help you get set up.

But once you're settled in, I'd think you'll be comfortable. Buenos Aires can be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy the experience

Buses after midnight have other frequency, lower, but they are safe overall. Of course they re not like midday, there are fewer people, it is dark, maybe you ll find some drunken guy.... yes it is more risky but if you want to go, lets say from Las Canitas to Recoleta, and you dont wanna pay for a taxi, Id say its pretty safe. Although at night there is a lot of less traffic so taxis are cheaper.

Back