Can I return to US while my FBI check is pending?

FYI, once you get it, you still need to have it transalated by a certified local translator.

armbou said:
No need to apostille the document.

Ba Hairdresser said:
Hi,
Yes the Police check also has to have an apostille.

So 2 opposite answers. Has anyone been in the last 5 months for permanent residency who can vouch that they were turned down without an apostille on the FBI report ?

Thank you!

I think I just answered my question thanks to this post I just found:

emilyr said:
An update from the FBI Criminal Record request FAQ site as of January 25, 2010. Now that they are DOING this...and even though it looks like a complicated process, this means Argentina COULD REQUEST an Apostille on the Criminal Record and that the Embassies no longer will provide this letter. I hope they don't start this. Has anyone encountered this in the last few months??

4. Does the FBI *apostille?
(*An apostille is a document that has been "legalized" or "authenticated"
by the issuing agency. This is a process in which various seals are
placed on the document.)
The FBI’s CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and signature of a Division official on the results, if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this matter may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. This service is not provided to individuals requesting search results for Canadian immigration, as it is not required for this purpose. This procedure becomes effective 1/25/2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided.

Since my request was received by the FBI in December and I just got it back in April, I assume I do not need one and will probably have this translated along with my other documents so that they don't give me any trouble!

Back