Can I Visit Argentina With Prior Conviction?

Your issue may be making sure that the neighboring countries are not using API yet. The airlines provide passenger information that is run through international databases. The destination country receives this information and usually any conviction gets flagged. And while the law is supposed to universal, we all know its up to the individual border agent as to how they will interpret this information. Severity of the offense and how long ago it was are to be concerned per the Argentinian law, but the individual agent might be having a bad day and put you on the next plane home just for fun.

Before attempting a visit, see if the travel-through country uses API.

Also I think it depends a lot on the seriousness of the crime you were convicted off.

According the article below if your sentence was for less than three years, then you'd be OK.

In my case it is one of the serious crimes listed in the new immigration law, and it carried a sentence of more than 3 years.

You can visit but getting residency or anything besides a tourist stamp I imagine would be difficult

This policy change came after President Obama visited Argentina last week, where negotiations took place for Argentina to once again be part of the US Visa Waiver Program, which will likely happen as of early 2017. As a more immediate measure, Argentina has eliminated the reciprocity fee for Americans, though hopefully that policy is extended beyond the current 90 day period.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/28/argentina-reciprocity-fee-us-citizens/

Ok, I was talking about a visa. The fee was something you just pay while the visa has to be applied and granted.
That´s why I didn't understand you.

Thank you all for the comments. Has anyone here flown in to Ezeiza in the last 3 weeks? Does the form you fill out ask about prior convictions, or do they ask when you pass through immigration?

I fly thru there all the time and have never seen where it is asked, either in person or on any form.

Thank you all for the comments. Has anyone here flown in to Ezeiza in the last 3 weeks? Does the form you fill out ask about prior convictions, or do they ask when you pass through immigration?
I flew in 10 days ago and wasn't asked.

Back