Can I Work With My Precaria?

Girino

Registered
I have applied for Permanent Residency through marriage 5 months ago, and I was issued a Certificato de Residencia Precaria on the spot, which I just had to renew and it is now valid until May 29th.

Lately I have been job browsing and I always wondered if I can work with my precaria since it has an expiration date.
Thanks for your replies!

Yes you can, it even says so on the precaria (at least on mine) however I wonder if a company can give you a contract that goes beyond the expiration date of the precaria.

I share your wonder, Monique. By the time the selection process is over, my precaria will be already expired!

Yes, you can. I am currently working under my precaria, with a contract, but it is not a finite contract - it has no "end" date (not sure if good or bad, frankly). I just assume that, if my precaria were not to turn into a permanent residency, I would have to leave/be terminated from the position.

You can't work with a precaria for residencia familial. It says so in the small print on the previous itself, "no tiene ningún valor legal si no se presente con documento nacional de identidad".

You can though work with the precaria trabajador. As to other visas I'm not sure.

Here I am waiting 4 months now for my DNI, with a job that I cannot start until that damn document arrives.

You can't work with a precaria for residencia familial. It says so in the small print on the previous itself, "no tiene ningún valor legal si no se presente con documento nacional de identidad".

You can though work with the precaria trabajador. As to other visas I'm not sure.

Here I am waiting 4 months now for my DNI, with a job that I cannot start until that damn document arrives.

Wow - I am 99% sure we had hired people with it pending. Although IIRC, that was for people that were studying. I had no idea you couldn't work while it was pending. Learned something new today!

I also thought you were entitled to all the rights (including to work) with a precaria...but the precaria is limited to three months so the job would have to be temporary..
The reference to "acompamied by your national document" is for those that have temporary residency and are waiting for their renewal or new card....
But hey, I'm not a lawyer. Just sayin what I thought.

The text that you refer to doesn't say that you can't work with the precaria. It only says that the document has no legal value without an ID card i.e. you will always need to present it together with your passport or DNI. I have a precaria after I applied for permanent residency based on a visa rentista and it says: SI se encuentra habilitada para desempeñar tareas remuneradas. La presente carece de valor legal si no se acompaña el Documento de Identidad consignado.

So yes I can work but the document only has legal value if presented together with ID.

Back