Can you fly into Buenos Aires from the UK without a return flight?

Book the outbound flight to USA, rule still applies.
And an additional caveat is you must purchase the ticket directly from the airline not a travel agency or web service (i.e. travelocity, priceline, etc…)

Thanks everyone. In the end I've bought the cheapest flight to Montevideo I could find. Hopefully that will do.

This is really confusing...so it's the airlines enforcing this rule? Shouldn't you be able to just ring the airline and ask if you need a return?
The airlines are often enforcing this rule, which is in the rule book they have from Argentina.

You don't need an return ticket, but you are taking a risk of being refused check-in if you don't have some kind of 'out of Argentina' onwardticket, eg. to your next planned destination.

You can also use the site jiujitsusa recommends; read their FAQ

Be cautious with the onward travel ticket outfits offering the 10 to 20 dollar tickets that are good for 48hrs. See the trust pilot reviews lots of people mention bad experiences.. The first company issued me a 12 dollar ticket that turned out to be just a reservation, not a confirmed (paid for) ticket. I had another company send me another one last minute which was legit but almost missed my flight. Another problem is they tend to issue itineraries that are very suspect like a BUE to MVD ticket with very short stopovers in PTY and MIA (because the onward ticket companies can not use aerolineas).. Try explaining that to the agent. 😅 In the future I will probably go with the refundable ticket route or actually buy my actual onward ticket before departing.

Last edited:
Can you use a ferry ticket to Uruguay in lieu of an airline ticket?

Can you use a ferry ticket to Uruguay in lieu of an airline ticket?
It should be OK, but I had problem once in bcn airport with then alitalia, they did not accept it, only flight. I bought flight to Montevideo, and it was OK. Otherwise no way I would be on that plane.

Later I faked this Montevideo ticket every time I flew one way, and it was always accepted...

Use onwardticket.com
You pay $15.00 for an actual return ticket that is good for 24 hours. I used this service when coming to Argentina from the US. Argentine customs did not ask me for the return ticket. However, the airlines did at checkin in Miami.
In the US airlines are required to give you 24 hours to cancel. This allows one to show a return ticket if needed without using websites that fake tickets.

I don't understand what the benefit of using sites like Onward Ticket is vs. just buying a fully refundable return ticket and then cancelling it after you arrive in country. I get that Onward Ticket "costs" less money up front and maybe makes sense if you have no credit limit or zero disposable income to spare, but whatever money you give them (even if it's only $16) is lost and you never get it back. Just buy a refundable ticket directly from the airline and at the end of the day you pay nothing at all.

I do this with Delta Airlines quite often while traveling internationally - buy a fully refundable ticket to ATL or JFK and put in on a credit card, print the ticket off in case anyone from immigration asks for it, and then once I'm cleared by immigration I cancel the ticket and the money's returned to my credit card in 3-5 days at most. In my mind it also looks less sketchy in the unlikely event immigration decides to do any digging - I'm sure they have the means to figure out you're using a service like Onward Ticket if they really wanted to.

The other upside of buying a fully refundable ticket directly from the airlines is you don't have to worry about "timing it right." For example, if you buy a fake reservation through Onward Ticket, or if you buy a nonrefundable ticket from a U.S. airline and try to take advantage of their 24-hour risk-free cancellation period, then you essentially have to wait until the last minute to finalize your trip planning, and (in the case of a nonrefundable ticket) there's also the possibility of forgetting to cancel your ticket in time and having your money tied up with airline e-credits.

I'd rather just buy a refundable ticket a few weeks in advance and have the peace of mind of knowing my trip planning is complete and I can get a full refund on demand, rather than waiting until the last 24 to 48 hours to tie up loose ends and potentially screwing something up in the process.

Depends on the airline, they don't check once you arrive but the check in agent may or may not check.

Book a return ticket? They're often the same price or cheaper than one-way tickets?
I always buy a ticket that allows me to change the dates with out a penalty or charge. Because we never know when we will return to the states.

I don't understand what the benefit of using sites like Onward Ticket is vs. just buying a fully refundable return ticket and then cancelling it after you arrive in country. I get that Onward Ticket "costs" less money up front and maybe makes sense if you have no credit limit or zero disposable income to spare, but whatever money you give them (even if it's only $16) is lost and you never get it back. Just buy a refundable ticket directly from the airline and at the end of the day you pay nothing at all.

I do this with Delta Airlines quite often while traveling internationally - buy a fully refundable ticket to ATL or JFK and put in on a credit card, print the ticket off in case anyone from immigration asks for it, and then once I'm cleared by immigration I cancel the ticket and the money's returned to my credit card in 3-5 days at most. In my mind it also looks less sketchy in the unlikely event immigration decides to do any digging - I'm sure they have the means to figure out you're using a service like Onward Ticket if they really wanted to.

The other upside of buying a fully refundable ticket directly from the airlines is you don't have to worry about "timing it right." For example, if you buy a fake reservation through Onward Ticket, or if you buy a nonrefundable ticket from a U.S. airline and try to take advantage of their 24-hour risk-free cancellation period, then you essentially have to wait until the last minute to finalize your trip planning, and (in the case of a nonrefundable ticket) there's also the possibility of forgetting to cancel your ticket in time and having your money tied up with airline e-credits.

I'd rather just buy a refundable ticket a few weeks in advance and have the peace of mind of knowing my trip planning is complete and I can get a full refund on demand, rather than waiting until the last 24 to 48 hours to tie up loose ends and potentially screwing something up in the process.
i agree, but maybe people cant front that kind of cash

Back