Can you still afford to live here?

dani28 said:
Most steak places in the US would be considerably higher than even the better parillas in Buenos Aires and offer less quantity. I only eat out and I dont find food in general pricy. Individual sized pizzas can be had for around 20 pesos. Delivery/take out Chinese (appetizer of spring rolls + main dish + 1,5 l gaseosa) for around 30..... Fajita dinner for 2 with margaritas at a nice Mexican place for around 100....Where are you guys eating?

Good steak houses in the US (I'm not speaking of inexpensive chains) are far better than most parillas in BA. In reality there aren't that many TOP parillas here. I also agree with others that there is more to a good diet than beef!

Anyway, be that as it may, the COL here has soared. I just ate at a simple little place called LOS MAESTROS. What cost me about $5 around 7 years ago is now $42. My income has not risen proportionately so whatever the cost is in Chicago, New York etc is irrelevant when your income is mostly pesos and it doesn't keep up with inflation.

I agree with the statements that the parrillas here are no way comparable to the steakhouses in major cities in the US. The parrillas in Buenos Aires in my opinion are comparable to everyday Bar-B-Que style restaurants in the southern part of the USA. A steakhouse in a major city in the US would NEVER give you a wooden cutting board as a plate, there would be tablecloths, SHARP clean and well conditioned steak knives, and a host of other nicities that just DON'T exist here.
Could you all imagine if a restaurant like the cheescake factory opened here? The people would think the food was from another planet and the cost, well I just can't imagine what they would charge for a portion of cheesecake or one of those wonderful salad combinations with asian-style chicken, endives, crunchy noodles and mandarin orange sections with ginger balsamic dressing. In a few months I am going to visit the states and I cant wait to eat at the cheesecake factory. While it's not considered a TOP restaurant, it represents the abundance, oraganization and finesse of the US all on a tasty well portioned plate!

FWIW - I'm in NYC right now and am finding the mid-range restaurants here cost the same or a little bit less (dollar to dollar) as I'm spending in Buenos Aires. High-end yes, still much more expensive here but mid equal or cheaper than in BsAs and there are A LOT more cheap/inexpensive food options here than in BsAs.

Groceries and toiletries are cheaper in NYC.

And my insurance has increased 400% in 3 years.

I agree with the statements that the parrillas here are no way comparable to the steakhouses in major cities in the US. The parrillas in Buenos Aires in my opinion are comparable to everyday Bar-B-Que style restaurants in the southern part of the USA. A steakhouse in a major city in the US would NEVER give you a wooden cutting board as a plate, there would be tablecloths, SHARP clean and well conditioned steak knives, and a host of other nicities that just DON'T exist here.

This comment shows you don't understand what a parrilla is and where it comes from. A parrilla is a parrilla and not a posh restaurant. It is a tradition, it has to be as it is, using a wooden cutting board, with lots of smoke inside, etc. Why is it that difficult to accept? After all parrillas cater mostly Argentines, why would they need to change to accomodate a few spoilt foreigners? this is something I do not understand.

Inflation is here and prices are increasing dramatically, there is no doubt. Many things are more expensive in Argentina than in Europe, including eating out.
However, Argentine beef quality remains unsurpassed. The best steak restaurants in Europe are - unsurprisingly - serving Argentine beef.

Many amateurish parrillas - mostly in BA - serve overcooked beef, which is surely bad. The best parrillas are to be found in the provinces.

While I agree that prices for parrillas in the USA and Argentina are similar the quality of meat is better in Argentina and at some restaurants the meat is outstanding and better flavour than anywhere else in the world.

I go to a restaurant in Palermo called Crizia and order a dozen oysters every time . They are flown in from Carmen de Patagones and they are huge and delicious with a very fresh briny flavour. I would say they are amongst the best I have tried in the world but people in Buenos Aires are not even aware of the tremendous quality of fish that Argentina offers as over 90 % is exported.

If you go to Patagonia the lamb is the most succulent in the world . Also the berries in the south from raspberries, elderberries, cranberries are incredible . Go to El Bolson to a berry farm and you will see a huge array of berries at very low prices.

There is plenty of first rate beef in the US. That is what is served in top steak houses in New York and other major cities. You have to go to a good place here to get grass fed beef, if that's what you want. More and more Argentine beef is feed lot beef.

There is outstanding beef from other places too. Have you tried Japanese Kobe beef? Also southern Africa produces quality beef.

Agreed that parillas are not "fine dining". The best steak houses in the US fall under the fine dining category that someone said. The good ones in the US are more expensive than here (unless you are talking about Las Lilas or something like that). Wine is more expensive in the US - though I've found mark ups here rather amazing lately. I recently paid 300% over the supermarket price. Tax and high tips add a lot to dining bills in the US - an extra 30% in New York if you tip 20% (expected) in good places.

Lamb: Have to disagree with Perry. Lamb is my favorite meat and I have never liked it here. It has an unpleasant gamy taste. The most flavorful and tender lamb I have ever had is in the US. It is one of the things I look forward to when I go back to the US. Pork: In many years I have never had a decent piece of pork here. Always tough. Fiambres, though, are well done here.

New York top restaurants vs. BA. There are no top restaurants here in international terms. BA simply is not in the same gastronomic league as New York, Paris, London etc. The best chefs don't come here. Even the Alvear Palace can not compare with the best in New York. And it is certainly true that the prices at top New York restaurants are high however I think they are pretty high at the Alvear Palace too.

Anyway we are getting off track. The theme is the COL. Unless restaurants are your #1 priority, there are more important issues like the cost of health care, building 'expensas', food in the supermarket and other basics which have been rising wildly.

chris said:
There is plenty of first rate beef in the US. That is what is served in top steak houses in New York and other major cities. You have to go to a good place here to get grass fed beef, if that's what you want. More and more Argentine beef is feed lot beef.

There is outstanding beef from other places too. Have you tried Japanese Kobe beef? Also southern Africa produces quality beef.

Agreed that parillas are not "fine dining". The best steak houses in the US fall under the fine dining category that someone said. The good ones in the US are more expensive than here (unless you are talking about Las Lilas or something like that). Wine is more expensive in the US - though I've found mark ups here rather amazing lately. I recently paid 300% over the supermarket price. Tax and high tips add a lot to dining bills in the US - an extra 30% in New York if you tip 20% (expected) in good places.

Lamb: Have to disagree with Perry. Lamb is my favorite meat and I have never liked it here. It has an unpleasant gamy taste. The most flavorful and tender lamb I have ever had is in the US. It is one of the things I look forward to when I go back to the US. Pork: In many years I have never had a decent piece of pork here. Always tough. Fiambres, though, are well done here.

New York top restaurants vs. BA. There are no top restaurants here in international terms. BA simply is not in the same gastronomic league as New York, Paris, London etc. The best chefs don't come here. Even the Alvear Palace can not compare with the best in New York. And it is certainly true that the prices at top New York restaurants are high however I think they are pretty high at the Alvear Palace too.

Chris I travel to the South often and have had incredible lamb in El Calafate, Bariloche and Esquel . I am greek and we know lamb and I have to say that Patagonian lamb is outstanding . Now of course there are many mediocre places in Buenos Aires that serve dry flavourless meat but this is the same in many cities you just have to know where to eat .

I have only made a few trips to Patagonia over the years and recall having had lamb there once and did not like it. Other than that I have had lamb in BA and environs many times, in good places, and it has always been poor. I just can't get in a plane and fly to Patagonia every time I want good lamb but I can walk to the supermarket in the US and get quality lamb any time I want or go to a good butcher and get even better lamb. I am not disputing what you say - that there is good Patagonian lamb but I am saying that I haven't had it in good places in BA. It just doesn't seem popular here and people don't seem to have cultivated a taste for it.

OK, Thanks for the recommendation. It may be great but my point remains that most lamb, at least what is sold and served in most places in BA, is not good. What I routinely get in the US is good and I don't have to ask for recommendations to find it.

Back