Can you still afford to live here?

perry said:
Last night I had Patagonian lamb at Crizia in Palermo Soho and it was melt in the mouth delicious . Try this place and you will change your mind

http://www.crizia.com.ar/crizia/

I have to say Cris comments on poor lamb shock me too..Im Irish and used to live in a small village outside Dublin where the local butcher slaughtered the lamb on the premises..ie fresher it couldnt be. It was excellent and the lamb Ive eaten here is also delicious and amazing value..the best I ever had being parilla style marinaded in orange and lavendar. I will also say my worst lamb experience was in Patagonia because I ordered it out of season..and so the fatty grisly beast I was served was my own fault.
Cris, don't give up on the lamb here!

Chris, when you criticise Argentina beef for being produced in feed lots, you seem to forget that MOST beef in the US comes from feed lots, the cows are high on steroids, etc.
Moreover - and this is key for me - the races bred in the US are not mainly Aberdeen Angus, Shorton and Hereford as in Argentina.
I was invited many times by customers in the US who knew the cities very well, and all beef I had there was just not the same as in Argentina. They were overloaded with sauces and spices to hide the fact the beef didn't taste.
No idea about the lamb, usually the meat is not the problem, but the cook.

Argentina has some of the best food products in the world but unfortunately most restaurants cut corners and do not serve the best available .

I have had the best bife de chorizo , lomo , and lamb in Argentina . There are some restaurants that are amazing .

Try La Trapiche, La Cabrera, Don Julio, Crizia, and many more

Davidglen77 said:
I agree with the statements that the parrillas here are no way comparable to the steakhouses in major cities in the US. The parrillas in Buenos Aires in my opinion are comparable to everyday Bar-B-Que style restaurants in the southern part of the USA.

I have to disagree with this. The bar-b-que in the southern US is so different from what you get at a parilla here that it's tough to compare. I LOVE the fact that parillas serve so many more parts of the cow/pig/whatever than bar-b-que joints in the US.

texxaslonghorn said:
I have to disagree with this. The bar-b-que in the southern US is so different from what you get at a parilla here that it's tough to compare. I LOVE the fact that parillas serve so many more parts of the cow/pig/whatever than bar-b-que joints in the US.

My fellow Horn knows of what he speaketh.

However, I do not drool over the parts of animals that usually find their way into dog food in the States. I've tried many of the organs and I'm just not down with that stuff.

Slow smoked bbq has about 6.31x more flavor than just "meat & salt", but I usually have to settle for drooling over photos like this one in a "to-go" wrapper of butcher paper:

wlw47d.jpg

...or this...

189987b7-40cc-d299.jpg

Smoke pork ribs, brisket, sausages, jalapeños, y más...

...or this...

FranklinRib.jpg

Smoke ribs with beautiful bark stacked on top of some smoked brisket. Que F***in' RICO!!

For more BBQ Pron, go here: http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/54661-Franklin-BBQ

On the COL, When I arrived here in 2006 I signed up for OSDE 310 (mid-range plan) and believe that I was paying $150/mo until I cancelled it because I wasn't using it. I'm in my early 30s (it goes to a higher pay scale after the 36th birthday, I think 26-35 is the plan level I'm on), and signed up for OSDE 310 again last May at $510/mo. It went up in August, and I just received notice that it's going up again next month August to $853/mo.

texxaslonghorn said:

Right on. The local parrilla here is more similar to the neighborhood bar & grill in the US. As us holders of the BBQ priesthood know, "BBQ" is actually 3 letters that put together mean "slowly cooking meats with smoke and low heat for 3-18 hours" ;) ...and not just slapping something on the grill for 5 minutes...still good, but not proper US BBQ.

perry said:
Argentina has some of the best food products in the world but unfortunately most restaurants cut corners and do not serve the best available .

I have had the best bife de chorizo , lomo , and lamb in Argentina . There are some restaurants that are amazing .

Try La Trapiche, La Cabrera, Don Julio, Crizia, and many more

Couldn't agree more...

Napoleon said:
My fellow Horn knows of what he speaketh.

However, I do not drool over the parts of animals that usually find their way into dog food in the States. I've tried many of the organs and I'm just not down with that stuff.

Slow smoked bbq has about 6.31x more flavor than just "meat & salt", but I usually have to settle for drooling over photos like this one in a "to-go" wrapper of butcher paper:

For more BBQ Pron, go here: http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/54661-Franklin-BBQ

I've poked fun at Bevo once before on this site in reference to Texas BBQ and where it ranks compared to the rest of US. But I'd take it any day over anything somewhat "BBQ" available here...and certainly them vinegar lovers in Carolina ;)

Haven't done much on the BBQ side of the site of late, but I will be doing some more in the next couple weeks: http://bbq.foodsherpas.com/

Quinn said:
I've poked fun at Bevo once before on this site in reference to Texas BBQ and where it ranks compared to the rest of US.

It's quite possible that Nebraska has great bbq, maybe even better than Texas. But, seeing as how large Texas is, it's hard to imagine that one can't find some kind of bbq that is to their liking.

Cows in Texas are more of the dairy variety . . . . But, I hold steady in my high opinion of TX bbq:p

Back