Can you still pay overstay fee at EZE?

Sean T

Registered
Just as the title says. Can I still pay my overstay fee at the airport or is it mandatory to go to migraciones?

While you can pay the overstay fee at the office of Migraciones in Retiro, it isn't mandatory, and the answer is yes, you can also pay at EZE.

Just to be clear, you actually pay at the bank at the airport, not at migraciones at the airport, so don't go looking in the wrong direction. 🤠

Just to be clear, you actually pay at the bank at the airport, not at migraciones at the airport, so don't go looking in the wrong direction. 🤠
I believe, airline does not clear you for your flight and tells you to go to migraciones at the airport. Then migraciones sends you to the airport BNA branch to pay the fee. Check their working hours and make sure you have plenty of time until your flight.

I am 100% sure Lunar is correct and I was wrong!

I forgot that you go to migracones first, get a paper to take to the bank, pay the fee, and then check in.🤠

Unless something has changed since previous posts indicated, you can leave the country without paying the fine and then pay it online later, but I imagine that it will be "complicated" to get the boarding pass at check in if you haven't paid the fine and passing through migraciones on the way to the gate could be "problematic" as well.

The ultimate "catch" is that if the fee is not paid on line before you try to renter, you will not be allowed into Argentina, you will not be able to pay the fine at the airport, and you will be sent back where you came from.

More info here:https://baexpats.org/threads/current-fine-and-bank-hours-at-eze-for-overstaying-visa.45149/

Go to the immigration office, get the paperwork, take the paperwork to the bank and pay the fee, go back to the immigration show receipt, the immigration will print more paperwork for you, take the paperwork to check-in, then go to the customs, when presenting your passport also present the paperwork (don't wait for them to ask for it). That is it.

Hello all! Given how possibly complicated / expensive / uncertain the procedure of paying a fine in EZE is, would anyone recommend taking a weekend trip to Uruguay to exit and renew one's visa? My situation is that my flight in mid-January leaves 2 or 3 days after the 90 day window lapses. I've also read that I can get the visa renewed in-country, but that might also be quite the hassle as well.

Hello all! Given how possibly complicated / expensive / uncertain the procedure of paying a fine in EZE is, would anyone recommend taking a weekend trip to Uruguay to exit and renew one's visa? My situation is that my flight in mid-January leaves 2 or 3 days after the 90 day window lapses. I've also read that I can get the visa renewed in-country, but that might also be quite the hassle as well.
It's really not so complicated or expensive to pay the fine at Ezeiza and, not so many years ago, before the country's Departure Tax was integrated into the price of the air ticket, everybody had to do the ritual dance between the payment window and migraciones and the airline desk. But if you've never been to Montevideo or Colonia then, don't think of it as a burden, treat it as a nice little quiet side-excursion. Quiet being the operative word: the contrast with Argentina is palpable

Ironically, expats continue to make "visa runs" to Uruguay and Chile to avoid overstaying their 90 day tourist permit because they think it keeps them "legal" or "legit" with migraciones, unaware that "abuse" of the tourist visa is a "crime" that can be grounds to prevent thier reentry while overstaying the tourist permit is not actually considered a crime.

An Argentine lawyer who specializes in citizenship for extranjeros has repeatedly advised those who ask the question about the visa runs to "overstay" instead of leaving the country to get a new tourist permit. He has made it clear that is is better to overstay and pay the (now $12.5000 peso) fine than make a "visa run" which may have less than the desired result.

Going to Ururguay to get a new visa does not kep you "legal" in the eyes of Argentine immigration, even if they actually give you a new visa when you return. You are not renewing your first 90 day permit. Whatever happens depends on the individual official at the point of entry,

If you make a "weekend" trip" to Uruguay but return before your previous permit has expired, you may not receive a new permit. In that case, you would only have however much time is left on the original permit before you are in an overstay status.

If you leave on the last day of your current permit, and return the next day, it will look "obvious" to the border official that you are "abusing the toursit visa" and, althought it is unlikely that you would be denied reentry, you could be denied reentry. It haas happened to others on thier first visa run.

Geting a 90 day extension at migraciones is cheaper than paying the overstay fine: It is not difficult, and it can be done in a lot less time than a weekend trip to Uruguay, but it will take more time than paying the fine at the airport.

If I was in your situation I would pay the fine at the airport, unless I never planned on returning to Argentina. In that case, I would refuse to pay the fine. I would just say no and go.

Last edited:
If you leave on the last day of your current permit, and return the next day, it will look "obvious" to the border official that you are "abusing the toursit visa" and, althought it is unlikely that you would be denied reentry, you could be denied reentry. It haas happened to others on thier first visa run.

Even if you can tell the border agent that you will be leaving the country in two or three days, and even if you can show that you have the tickets, that will not necessarily constitute "proof" that you will actually leave as scheduled.

It is easier for me to imagine that the agent would assume that you are actualy "living" in Argentina than for him to believe that you just wanted to get a new 90 day visa to stay for two or three more days...

,,..and that you felt like paying the overstay fine at the airport woud be too complicated, expensive, and/or uncertain.

Last edited:
Back