Carrot Cake + Empanada Hunt

Quinta Caraná in Monserrat is a hidden gem with fantastic food and delicious Venezuelan-style empanadas. I eat there several times a week. Their Google reviews are near-perfect, and well deserved IMO. The place isn't fancy, but it's definitely comfort food done right. Their salsa picante is very spicy, which I love and which seems to be a rarity around these parts.

Quinta Caraná in Monserrat is a hidden gem with fantastic food and delicious Venezuelan-style empanadas. I eat there several times a week. Their Google reviews are near-perfect, and well deserved IMO. The place isn't fancy, but it's definitely comfort food done right. Their salsa picante is very spicy, which I love and which seems to be a rarity around these parts.
Do love a venezuelan style empanada! And nice to hear there is some actual spice SOMEWHERE in Buenos haha

For me the best wide spread empanadas are from Mi Gusto. Really good fried ones are from Al Disco but there are only 2 locations.

Usina Cafeteria has great carrot cake.

El Maitén, The Stand, and Cumen, Cumen all have really good empanadas.

The Stand has empanadas that you don't find other places, more international in its scope.

@Stantucker I read your username and the folk song "Ol' Dan Tucker" popped into my head for some reason, lol. I've updated the lyrics accordingly.

"Well, Old (Stan) Tucker, was a fine old man,
Washed his face in a frying pan,
Combed his hair with a wagon wheel,
And died with a carrot cake toothache in his heel.

Get out the way! Old Stan Tucker,
You're too late to get your empanada supper.
Supper's over and medialunas cookin',
Old Stan Tucker standin' lookin' "

@Stantucker I read your username and the folk song "Ol' Dan Tucker" popped into my head for some reason, lol. I've updated the lyrics accordingly.

"Well, Old (Stan) Tucker, was a fine old man,
Washed his face in a frying pan,
Combed his hair with a wagon wheel,
And died with a carrot cake toothache in his heel.

Get out the way! Old Stan Tucker,
You're too late to get your empanada supper.
Supper's over and medialunas cookin',
Old Stan Tucker standin' lookin' "
When I was a kid, I hated that song, so of course the other kids would taunt me with it.

Your argentinized version is much better! Thanks!

When I was a kid, I hated that song, so of course the other kids would taunt me with it.

Your argentinized version is much better! Thanks!

Sorry, didn't mean to unlock any repressed memories, lol. I used to watch Little House on the Prairie a lot as a kid and the character of Mr. Edwards (played by Victor French) would sing it a lot. The Bruce Springsteen version is my favorite:

Anyways, I digress....back to the carrot cake. Can't personally vouch for it, but this carrot cake at Malvón in Villa Crespo looks quite enticing (I think the one OP posted looks better though):

img_0386(1).jpg

Back