Cartoneros

tangobob

Registered
Since my first vist, I have noticed the cartoneros, a bit like the wombles, making good use of the things everyday folk leave behind.
Scruffy individuals, they dressed in whatever they could find, old anoraks, holey jumpers, torn jeans. I am not being judgemental just observing.
Now on my latest visit, they seem to have gained some sort of uniform. Are they now being employed by the municipality? or have they just been supplied with uniform so that we know who they are? or even in some sort of northern hemisphere type thinking, are the reflective trousers and pants a way of reducing road accidents? or perhaps it is a way of making them apear less threatening to touristas? (not that I have ever felt threatened by them, but I can understand how some might feel this way).

I ask just out of curiosity, does nyone know? :confused:

its some sort of agreement with CABA. It´s a good thing (Marth Stewart would say)

It's a form of recycling! As long as they don't leave a mess what's the problem...

Too bad these people are working more than 12 hours a day for a wage which is next to nothing. But it's better than being dependent on "planes sociales" and having to go every other rally of the peronist party i guess...

The problem is that the money of reclying goes to a maffia, they don't pay taxes, that they leave a mess, it decreases the value of real estate, it leaves a bad impression to the foreigners and it increase the chance of disease not only for the cartoneros but also to the general public

ReemsterCARP said:
Too bad these people are working more than 12 hours a day for a wage which is next to nothing. But it's better than being dependent on "planes sociales" and having to go every other rally of the peronist party i guess...

They do both, they earn money as cartonero and money from planes sociales

BlahBlah said:
The problem is that the money of reclying goes to a maffia, they don't pay taxes, that they leave a mess, it decreases the value of real estate, it leaves a bad impression to the foreigners and it increase the chance of disease not only for the cartoneros but also to the general public

And it's exploiting the workers with ridiculously low salaries. If the government had to put in place workers to do this they would have to pay much more. This way the government gets a recycling program by exploiting the poor.

child labor from what i see and citizens have no problem with that. another definition of Third World!

BlahBlah said:

I sense a deprived childhood here, I think you need some lurv

Does anyone actually have an answer to the question, or is this to become just another bash the argies post??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 0
PhilinBSAS Expat Life 1
Back