$Cary Prices.......

Davidglen77

Registered
This morning I went on my Sunday morning shopping trip to the verdulerías and carnicerías that I frequent, here in Monserrat / Congreso. I hadn't done this for the past month or so as I always have since I wasn't around for 2 weeks then had some other obligations so I changed my routine for a while. I was truly shocked at some of the price increases in such a relatively short period of time. Eggplant $25/kg, Onions $6,99/kg, Zapallitos $28/kg, Lentils(dry) $20/kg., Carrots $8/kg, Green Peppers $24. - those were verdulería prices. In Disco a box of ravioli was between $22 and $28 pesos, and a container of Casancrem was $22. Eggs in the verdulería were $12,50 a dozen and in Disco they were $17,50. Also in Disco and the friuts and vegetables were 30% - 40% more than the prices I just mentioned for most items. Living here as long as I have, inflation is just part of the game. But this is more than I ever remember before and in such a short period of time. What do people think is going to happen? A weekly routine shopping trip for a 1 person household buying very basic items just cost me almost $200 pesos.

This morning I went on my Sunday morning shopping trip to the verdulerías and carnicerías that I frequent, here in Monserrat / Congreso. I hadn't done this for the past month or so as I always have since I wasn't around for 2 weeks then had some other obligations so I changed my routine for a while. I was truly shocked at some of the price increases in such a relatively short period of time. Eggplant $25/kg, Onions $6,99/kg, Zapallitos $28/kg, Lentils(dry) $20/kg., Carrots $8/kg, Green Peppers $24. - those were verdulería prices. In Disco a box of ravioli was between $22 and $28 pesos, and a container of Casancrem was $22. Eggs in the verdulería were $12,50 a dozen and in Disco they were $17,50. Also in Disco and the friuts and vegetables were 30% - 40% more than the prices I just mentioned for most items. Living here as long as I have, inflation is just part of the game. But this is more than I ever remember before and in such a short period of time. What do people think is going to happen? A weekly routine shopping trip for a 1 person household buying very basic items just cost me almost $200 pesos.

You need to hire Moreno as your grocery shopping consultant.

We're entering the end of the year and there are already protests for wage increases. I wonder for how many years the government thinks 30%+ inflation can be sustained. And I'm not even sure 30% is the real inflation.

I bought a small fleece blanket for my dog a year or two ago - 30 pesos.
Same blanket, same shop today - 90 pesos.
That's a 200% increase. It's just one example, but it seems prices inch up every time we go to the grocery store.
I can't imagine having to live on a fixed peso income here.

Another thing, this isn't exactly "Harvest" season.

That being said: BLUEBERRIES 125grs box

-Carranza Subte Pasillo towards P. Hollywood - AR$5
-Typical Verduleria AR$8 to AR$12
-Palermo JUMBO... AR$20

FOUR TIMES the prices at Jumbo. RRRRRidiculoooooo!

The green peppers at least is a seasonal thing, not just an inflation thing. (I don't know why anyone buys the green bell peppers here, they taste like nothing). Also if you shop in supermarkets and aren't getting at least 10 percent off you're playing their ridiculous rewards game wrong. I just bought 2 dozen avicooper exra grande eggs for 24 pesos at coto using my debit card for 15% off.

That all said, inflation is everywhere and life is expensive these days.

Inflation does funny things to prices. Check out the price per liter of these 4 brands of balsamic from the super.

IMAGE_1.jpeg

IMAGE_3.jpeg

IMAGE_2.jpeg

Something is really perverse here.......a 1 liter bottle of Balsamic in New York cost me about U$4 and a gallon of gasoline (4 liters) cost about $5. Here a liter of gasoline costs $9 and 1 liter of balsamic over $85 pesos? Jeez, the economy is going to explode! Seriously!

Something is really perverse here.......a 1 liter bottle of Balsamic in New York cost me about U$4 and a gallon of gasoline (4 liters) cost about $5. Here a liter of gasoline costs $9 and 1 liter of balsamic over $85 pesos? Jeez, the economy is going to explode! Seriously!

Its called an incompetent government.

To contribute:

La Continental grande muzza, a few years ago was 30 odd pesos.

now..... 72 pesos !

My favorite food chopped vegetables tray for soup,,, gone from $3 pesos to $10 in a few years... My recommendation eat lots of rice and polenta with tomato sauce, and hard boiled egg white salad....!! buy canned $5 ensalada jardinera to make a Russian salad :D

Back