$Cary Prices.......

And it's the same price to buy a knorr salsa de pizza as to buy a tin of tomatoes and make it myself. (Still prefer my homemade one, much less sugar).

I am soooo disappointed with commercial tomato sauce here. I once found some tomato sauce imported from the US in the food section of Falabella. A tin of Hunts tomato sauce $0,99 cents U$ in New York City costs $36,00 pesos here and a jar of Prego tomato sauce with the chunky tomatoes $41,00 pesos here and $2,49 U$ in NYC. I always make my own here, which I love but it's work chopping garlic, onions, peeling tomatoes, etc.

When I came here in 2010 Cig. Box LnM was 5 pesos now it is 9.50 right time to quit, same with the Eggs and Wheat. :angry:

I live in Monserrat and Iam a local I buy some few but good things at Dia for example Cream Cheese Dia for 10 pesos and is excellent, partially skimmed milk for 4,67 , crackers at 6 pesos for 300 grs the same brand, and the almendrado is superb for only 26 pesos, fruit is not good and is expensive most of the times but yes one has to be creative. And meat I sometimes buy at Avicar that they have good offers.....

I put food prices in perspective by calculating what I pay in dollars. I recently bought two T-bone steaks at COTO for 32 pesos. I get 8 pesos to the dollar in a XOOM transfer. That means that each steak cost me $2 which I ate with a baked potato for a peso. I asked friends if they could eat that cheaply at home in the USA, and they replied, no. I have no complaints.

Yes, food prices are increasing, but it effects Argentines more than it does foreigners with dollars or Euros. Inflation is a fact of life in Argentina, and at one time it was 800%. Foreigners can always return home if they don't like the situation in Argentina.

I shop around these days and compare prices. When I see blueberries at COTO for 26 pesos, and for 6 pesos at the local Chinese grocery, you know where I buy them. COTO has high overhead in big stores, and almost everything is cheaper in independent stores. We have to realize that we are not going to have everything we had in the USA at reasonable prices. The decision to live in Argentina is a big one. We have to accept the way things are here and not complain. It will never be like things are in the USA, and that's fine with me.

Years ago I discovered house sales and resale shops. I had to start over furnishing an apartment here (the first property I've owned in my life!) and bought everything at weekend house sales. I found great bargains. I buy all my clothing and shoes second-hand. I dress better here than I ever did in the USA simply because I buy used Italian and French clothes and shoes for pesos, not dollars. I have 14 pairs of Italian shoes I bought here at resale shops. I manage very well on my modest social security benefits.

What I do not miss about my life in the USA: junk mail, car insurance and maintenance, no public transportation at night, cold winters in Chicago, credit cards, working, television, the constant insanity to have more even if you don't need it.

On August 15, I took the oath of citizenship and applied for a DNI. I am here to stay!

I put food prices in perspective by calculating what I pay in dollars. I recently bought two T-bone steaks at COTO for 32 pesos. I get 8 pesos to the dollar in a XOOM transfer. That means that each steak cost me $2 which I ate with a baked potato for a peso. I asked friends if they could eat that cheaply at home in the USA, and they replied, no. I have no complaints.

Yes, food prices are increasing, but it effects Argentines more than it does foreigners with dollars or Euros. Inflation is a fact of life in Argentina, and at one time it was 800%. Foreigners can always return home if they don't like the situation in Argentina.

I shop around these days and compare prices. When I see blueberries at COTO for 26 pesos, and for 6 pesos at the local Chinese grocery, you know where I buy them. COTO has high overhead in big stores, and almost everything is cheaper in independent stores. We have to realize that we are not going to have everything we had in the USA at reasonable prices. The decision to live in Argentina is a big one. We have to accept the way things are here and not complain. It will never be like things are in the USA, and that's fine with me.

Years ago I discovered house sales and resale shops. I had to start over furnishing an apartment here (the first property I've owned in my life!) and bought everything at weekend house sales. I found great bargains. I buy all my clothing and shoes second-hand. I dress better here than I ever did in the USA simply because I buy used Italian and French clothes and shoes for pesos, not dollars. I have 14 pairs of Italian shoes I bought here at resale shops. I manage very well on my modest social security benefits.

What I do not miss about my life in the USA: junk mail, car insurance and maintenance, no public transportation at night, cold winters in Chicago, credit cards, working, television, the constant insanity to have more even if you don't need it.

On August 15, I took the oath of citizenship and applied for a DNI. I am here to stay!

You can do that if you earn in a US dollars and if you earn in US dollars you don't need to worry about prices, I earn in Pesos and it is really hard, officially I am earning 1300 USD permonth... blue rate I am earning 700 dollars... now complete the picture in your mind...

Pray and hope you'll be getting the salary/earning/pension in USD because once you will lose that income you'll be first to leave BA

I love BA and I might be living rest of my life here since my daughter is here... but when something is bad you have to say it is bad, when something is right you have to say it right.

When I came here in 2010 Cig. Box LnM was 5 pesos now it is 9.50 right time to quit, same with the Eggs and Wheat. :angry:
AR$ 9.50 ? Chump change, my buddy tells me the cost of a cigarette pack in N.Y.C. usa is, gasp! US$10.00....

Hi Janetango, how refreshing to hear from someone how actually (like me) enjoys being here, I know it's not perfect but I am here because I want to be, what I like far outweighs what I don't like.
Where do you dance by the way?

Amen- many of us that live here actually earn and live in the official currency. So it sucks.

I spent 3000 pesos at Makro yesterday which has the cheapest prices in town. Buying pretty much the same thing even a year ago cost me less than 2000. So yeah, it pretty much sucks.

Congratulations! And could not agree more with your post. Of course this only applies if you receive funds in foreign currency from outside Argentina. But the quality of life compared to other places I had lived before seems to be definitely better here.

Back