Casa Felix: Secret Closed Door Restaurant

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Secret Closed Door Restaurant: Casa Felix In Buenos Aires

Author: Robert Murgatroyd

I heard about a secret closed door restaurant in Buenos Aires from a few of my 'in the know peeps'. I had never heard of this concept - but, I knew I wanted in. Having a Jet Set Life to me is all about different, new and exciting things to do. Kim and I had our Buenos Aires contact, Fiorella, get us into Casa Felix on a Saturday night (which was a little like juggling flames). We really had no clue what to expect. All we knew was that the 'restaurant' was the house of professional Chef Diego Felix.

We jumped into a cab and headed to the comfy residential neighborhood of Chacarita (which is near Palermo). We pulled up to a beautiful building from the 1920's, rang the bell and chef Diego Felix warmly greeted us. From the moment you step foot in his house you can feel the intense and creative vibe. Diego was kind enough to grant us special access to interview him about an hour before his guests arrived.

Then it was show time. 12 guests, who don't know each other, ring the door bell and enter the world of Diego Felix. He greets them one by one and welcomes them back to his kitchen for an amazing cocktail (wish I could tell you what it was - all I know was that it was made of herbs from his garden and bordered on a lemoncello kind of taste - it was a triumph!).

Over cocktails, and in a rock star kind of way, he was fielding questions about who he is and what he does. Simultaneously, the rest of us were getting to know each other. Usually, the dining experience is held in his private open air courtyard by candlelight. However, because it was raining, we were then directed to what could probably be called his living room- turned dining room- to begin our culinary experience.

When seated we find a beautiful handwritten menu made of parchment at everyone's place setting describing the five course menu. With a hat tip to the slow food movement the experience began. Diego personally brought out each course and explained why it was selected and gave us a brief description of its indigenous South American ingredients, which he scours the continent to find.

As I'm not a foodie - I won't go into the description of each of the five courses. I'll leave the details of that to Food and Wine magazine, which they have done brilliantly here. I'll simply say the food was incredible! We met some really great people that night. We even wound up partying with a few of them, including Chef Felix, at a VIP table at Jet night club (which our contact Fiorella also arranged for us).

If you make it to Buenos Aires, and you should, make a stop at the (not so secret anymore) hidden restaurant of Casa Felix. I promise you'll love it.

About the Author: Robert Murgatroyd is the co-owner of Jet Set Life where he reports on where the Jet Set stay, eat and play around the world. For more reviews, photos and videos check out his blog. Article Source: ArticlesBase.com - Secret Closed Door Restaurant: Casa Felix In Buenos Aires

I also heard from a couple of friends who came to visit the city that it was a great place and a exotic culinary experience...and they were demanding people so i guess I believe them

I'm going to a new Closed Door that opens tomorrow. I'll report back.

So Robert, was all of this in English? Were all the patrons foreigners?
Just wondering.

Can you please give me the number of this place, My mum is over and I would love to tqke her there.

Thanks to everyone who came to Casa Felix last night - it was a evening of nicely prepared food and interesting people!
I would like to slap the hands of a few folks who brought a number of unexpected guests, swelling the guest list too more people then poor Diego was equipped to handle, but they finally managed to find a place for everyone and the evening was worthwhile.
I look forward to future dinners.

I think the offerings there were interesting enough to consider going back. The chefs use of herbs and spices was light handed but savory, nicely presented and accompanied by a (what appeared to be home baked) "light" dark bread that was also tasty and appreciated.

Saludos,

David

Back