Cash And Climbing...

EDC

Registered
Hi All, Used to live in BsAs 2009 - 2012 and back to visit in a couple of weeks. Guess a lot has changed so have a few questions..

- What's the deal with money these days? ATMs working or $$$ down the cueva still the best way to go?
- Any good rock climbing / bouldering gyms around barrio norte / palermo? Anyone here climb?
- And the most important....where are the good new places to eat?

Thanks in advance!

I avoid ATMs because the fees are way too high. I'm not exactly sure what the current numbers are - there seems to be some new info about the max amount of cash withdrawals and transaction fees, but the last I heard was a 2500 peso limit and a 96 peso fee. Fees may be higher.
For restaurants see http://pickupthefork...at-cheap-in-ba/ or the guiaoleo.com.ar guide.

Yeah, for long term stays and if you don't mind carrying cash USD it is the best way to go. ATM fees have risen to about 10% ($175 pesos) of a max withdrawal of $3,000 pesos per transaction now. I'll be updating that article as frequently as I see changes. Cuevas and cash remain king IMO.

I'd check out that same site that Julian listed for new restos. She stays on top of the food scene. I think you'll be quite pleased with the new additions- tons of them!

Reactions: EDC
you can open an account on XOOM, wire yourself any amount, and pay only 3% fee
If you are suggesting to use Xoom to get pesos by having it transfer USD and exchange them here...when I checked yesterday Xoom was exchanging 1 USD for 16.8x pesos and that was the rate for a 10,000 USD exchange. (I got 17.78 from my guy).

Hi @EDC - I am visiting BA (Palermo area) for New Year's Eve and a week after. Would love to climb (ropes) if you're looking for a partner. Have you found a gym you like?

Has anyone used a Scwab atm card in BA? I use mine in Colombia and Costa Rica and they reimburse the fees, if the atm fees were refunded would an atm be worth it ? Plan on coming to BA since i can only be in Colombia 180 days a year

I have one in Neuquen and it works without issues. I never use it anymore due to the western union transfers to my local account being a much better value.

Remember, you only get 59 pesos/dollar our of atms so it's kind of a ripoff. At least you won't pay the 11 dollar fee with the schwab card.

and....using a Schwab card in Colombia is useless if you are smart and use the Colpatria/Scotia ATMs. In Argentina tear it up....use WU

Back