Cell Phone 2.0...

ArgenTINNY

Registered
I've been living here for about a year now but am moving into a new job--working for a US company in a new capacity down here--and need a phone, primary use in Argentina, cheapest and most convenient usage in other countries in LAmerica, as I will be traveling a lot.

Any knowledge about Google Android usage here?

Best possible scenario would be a contract with a company here, ability to use internet, email, etc, but also able to use GoogleVoice to maintain a US number that is accessible through the phone. Not even sure this is possible, but it might be...?

Next best bet is probably Blackberry due to extensive networks in other countries and free BBM-ing. Correct? Best carrier to choose? I will soon be going back to the US for two weeks. Would it be convenient for me to bring an "equipo" from the US and activate it here?

I have a DNI so am able to purchase a plan. THANKS!!!

Try Personal. They have the Motorola Droid Android phone. It's not the best Android model and in fact it's pretty old compared to the newest models but it's currently the best Android you'll find in BA on a plan. Plus it's upgradeable to the new Froyo 2.2 Android version.

I bought one a few months ago to have as my business line. It cost $ 1299 pesos at the time, though I think it's currently going for $ 999 pesos. Also if you do buy it, get the $ 199 Plan Black. It gives you unlimited data ( 3G ) which you will need.

motorola-droid.jpg

As far as a US number. You can use google voice to creatively forward your calls but the best options are the TruPhone or Vonage apps. Skype used to have a working app via Fring but Skype recently blocked it ( they are assholes and decided to sign an exclusive with verizon blah blah blah ).

The best option is to buy a newer unlocked android model that runs Froyo 2.2 in the US and ship it down here and get a month to month plan.

I have the Nexus One as my personal line and it is the best phone i've ever had. The Evo 4G, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid X and Droid 2 are also very good options.

Oh and whatever you do, don't buy an Iphone 4, it is Apples biggest fcuk up in history. It has horrible reception and it can be hacked from any malicious website with a simple PDF file. And if you're looking for a modern phone, don't buy an antiquated BB. Their OS is pure craptastic.

Androidonapple.jpg

JUST SAYING.

ArgenTINNY said:
Would it be convenient for me to bring an "equipo" from the US and activate it here?

You can get an unlocked quadband GSM smartphone (preferably with WiFi) in the USA and use it here with either of three big providers.

I don't know of any GSM Android phones (in the States they normally sell them with Verizon planes), unlocked IPhone is in 800 USD range. Another option would be a Symbian based Nokia, for example 5800 or E61/62, they go for 200-300 USD I believe.

The advantage is that while you travel if you stay for a long time you can buy GSM chips from local companies and make local calls for (prepaid) local rates.

You also can buy a number in the USA and redirect it to your cell phone. If you are connected to WiFi there is an option to use a SIP softphone or Skype client (if one exists for your phone os) to make and receive calls.

ewwww @ symbian . wtf ? are you trying to send our friend back to the stone age ? Nokia is already discontinuing it. It is a DEAD OS.

And yes, you can get an unlocked GSM phone, you just need to make sure the 3G frequency is compatible with Argentinian frequencies. Particularly the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands. If you don't double check this, you will end up with a smartphone with no 3G capabilities in Argentina.

Smartphones that are branded for tmobile in the US wont work on 3G networks here, smartphones that are branded for AT&T use will work down here etc.

igor said:
You can get an unlocked quadband GSM smartphone (preferably with WiFi) in the USA and use it here with either of three big providers.

I don't know of any GSM Android phones (in the States they normally sell them with Verizon planes), unlocked IPhone is in 800 USD range. Another option would be a Symbian based Nokia, for example 5800 or E61/62, they go for 200-300 USD I believe.

The advantage is that while you travel if you stay for a long time you can buy GSM chips from local companies and make local calls for (prepaid) local rates.

You also can buy a number in the USA and redirect it to your cell phone. If you are connected to WiFi there is an option to use a SIP softphone or Skype client (if one exists for your phone os) to make and receive calls.

AlexfromLA said:
The best option is to buy a newer unlocked android model that runs Froyo 2.2 in the US and ship it down here and get a month to month plan.

Question: I'm going to need to sort out a local number on arrival and already have an Android phone that's coming with, but I understand getting a plan as a foreigner without a DNI etc might be tricky.

With that in mind, do any of the networks offer an informal data plan with the standalone SIM cards they sell? For example, here I can walk in to a network's store and buy a prepaid SIM that I can add credit to as and when for calling, texting and so on but that also comes with a small data allowance.

I only use about 100MB data a month (thank you NetSentry!), so I've been searching for a cheap, prepaid solution that'll give me a data allowance for light internet usage, emailing etc too. D'you know of anything similar offered by Argentine networks?

Back