Replacement cell phone

Heather_H

Registered
My cell phone was stolen this afternoon and I need to get a replacement. Any suggestions on where to buy an inexpensive phone and the best providers? I only need basic services (text, email, etc.) until mid-February, when I return to the States.

My cell phone was stolen this afternoon and I need to get a replacement. Any suggestions on where to buy an inexpensive phone and the best providers? I only need basic services (text, email, etc.) until mid-February, when I return to the States.
Albasto Mall....anywhere actually, Movie Star.
Inexpensive phones Motorola.
Buy minutes by adding to the phone.
Speak to the rep. they will assist.

This one looks quite decent for 85 bucks

Last edited:
If you go to Claro you can buy one there and also get set with the service all in one place.
I bought my phone in the states but have Claro as my carrier. Excellent service.
Sorry to hear about it, hope you weren’t hurt.

If you go to Claro you can buy one there and also get set with the service all in one place.
I bought my phone in the states but have Claro as my carrier. Excellent service.
Sorry to hear about it, hope you weren’t hurt.
I second this. The Claro store is a relatively painless solution. They've always taken good care of me.

And condolences on having your phone stolen. It happened to me, and it sucks.

Claro: 800 pesos every thirty days... unlimited calls and 2 gig data renewed daily. That 800 pesos is just a deposit to your account and you keep that money on your account. It keeps accumulating each month and you can use it for anything at Claro you want such as texts or foreign roaming...it's a crazy cheap program and I actually don't know why they offer it.

Samsung phones are even cheaper here compared to the US. There is a samsung store in alto palermo shopping
If you go to a Claro store as suggested and are considering buyng a Samsung phone, I suggest you keep this one in mindÑ

https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/samsung-galaxy-a04-128-gb-negro-4-gb-ram/p/MLA21024384

I bought the 64 gb A02 over two years ago and am very happy with it (after four motorla motos series G)

The 64 gb version of the A04 costs almost as much. For 20% more you get double the memory storage:

https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/samsung-galaxy-a04-64gb-color-verde/p/MLA21024387

I recently shopped for several brands of phones with 128 gb. If I had to replace my A02 today, I would buy an A04 128gb .

Please be careful how you pay for the phone.

There was a fairly recent thread (less than two months ago) about buying a phone at a Claro store and paying with a US card:

New Phone for 170 USD

It was not clear if he got the MEP rate, but $170 is far more than what the A04 64 gb version would sell for at MEP rate.of $854 today (about $77 USD?). I'm not sure as I haven't used my US VISA card in Argentina in well over ten years, even to withdraw cash from an ATM.

If you don't hava DNI you can't buy using Mercado Libre. Nonetheless. perhaps you can find someone (preferably a veterna ember of the forum) who would be willing to help by using ning their account...

If you could meet with them in person and pay in cash at the time of the buy, the phone can be sent to you in your name wherever you are staying...and arrive the next day (if there is any fuel for the camioneta to make the delivery). Unfortunately, I live too far from Capital Federal to be able to do this.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the recommendations—I really appreciate it.

I went to the Claro in Alto Palermo this morning. The salesperson suggested the Samsung A04 25 GB (100,000 pesos); the plan would be 6,000 pesos/30 days and can be canceled at any time.

Both my Spanish and tech knowledge are limited, so I'm unsure whether or not the suggestions are good ones. I also don't want to sign a contract that will lock me into a plan. I return to the U.S. in mid-February, so I only need service here until then. I communicate with all my business clients via my laptop, so I primarily need the phone for internet, email, messaging, and apps like WhatsApp, Google Maps, Google Translate, etc.

Would anyone in the group with better Spanish and more tech knowledge be available to come to a Claro with me? I can repay you with coffee and/or lunch.

There was a fairly recent thread (less than two months ago) about buying a phone at a Claro store and paying with a US card:

New Phone for 170 USD

It was not clear if he got the MEP rate, but $170 is far more than what the A04 64 gb version would sell for at MEP rate.of $854 today (about $77 USD?).
Recalculated the price at the MEP to be very close to $100 USD.

Back