Cell Phone Question

Utopos

Registered
Does anyone know if a Motorola G4plus purchased in the U.S. will work in Argentina? If so, is it best to just get an unlocked version or is International version necessary. I don't know anything about cell phones, obviously...

One unrelated question. I've been our of Argentina for a while --- can you get pesos at a decent rate at ATMs now or is it still necessary to use Xoom.

Thanks!

I'm not a big expert in cellphones myself, but I believe the big thing is that it be GSM and not the other type that I can't remember (CDMA? There are two big carriers in the US that still use that, I believe). There may be some frequency issues (I've seen people mention this before), but I've never looked at that to be honest - I've bought a number of unlocked GSM phones in the States over the years and they've all worked here, though never a Motorola. Looks like the model you mention has GSM support, not sure about frequencies it may operate on.

As far as pesos from the ATMs - the rates are good, blue rate is not so important these days because the prices are so close. However, specifically with ATMS, the problem now is the limit that you can get out (around 2400 pesos per transaction) and the high fees on this end (around $6 USD per transaction), plus whatever fees your bank might have. It makes individual transaction expensive still. If you have something like a Schwab account that gives back fees (even if you have to push them to do it) it might be doable. If you're here for a lot of time and can't bring enough cash with you, you can certainly use the ATMs to supplement your money but don't depend on it to provide the majority I'd say.

It should work. GSM works for sure. I have CDMA from Verizon also works in Argentina. These are not unlocked phones. I also used unlocked. Should be OK.
Many in Argentina uses good phones now. For the pasi 1-2 years, I have noticed a lot more nice phones and nicer cars in the city, more like a normal city now :)

Does anyone know if a Motorola G4plus purchased in the U.S. will work in Argentina? If so, is it best to just get an unlocked version or is International version necessary.

Check it out here: http://willmyphonework.net/

It looks like USA unlocked version will work for calls, 3G and even 4G LTE data on band 4. (Make sure you select right sub-model).

If you are AT&T or T-Mobile customer, then locked version of the phone certainly will not work here. Verizon does allow to use some of their phones while traveling (the phone needs to have a GSM module as well, naturally). But theoretically they can revoke the permission and disable this feature remotely. So, it is better to buy an unlocked phone.

Buy an iPhone 6S unlocked. At the end of your trip sell it used for 50% more than you bought it for before going back to the US

Buy an iPhone 6S unlocked. At the end of your trip sell it used for 50% more than you bought it for before going back to the US
If you look for a nano card for an unlocked phone, it will be very hard. Kiosks do not have it. Phone carriers do have it,
but you have to buy their phones. Make sure your phone does not have a nano simcard

Phone carriers do have it, but you have to buy their phones.

It depends on the provider I guess. And may be on the mood of a person you are talking to.

This summer I bought a prepaid nano SIM for a visiting friend at Claro office ([color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Av. Corrientes 937).[/color]
60 pesos including 30 pesos credit. No problems at all.

If you look for a nano card for an unlocked phone, it will be very hard. Kiosks do not have it. Phone carriers do have it,
but you have to buy their phones. Make sure your phone does not have a nano simcard
Cut it down to nano size. There are loads of instruction on Google. Alternatively go to a local cell phone dealer who will have had more practice. I had 2 cut down in April for 40 pesos each.

Buy a nano-card cutter on Ebay and bring it here and sell it to the guys working behind the counter at your local cell phone store.

Back