Cell providers comparison

TomAtAlki

Registered
I want to get a local cell number and would like some help deciding between the three local providers. Any recent opinions or experiences? I guess I'm interested in perks, cost, ease of use and anything else that might matter. Thank you all.

T/

For prepaid or plan? Prepaid Claro is the best due to ease of use - 500 pesos a month for 6gb data that you can top up with your credit card online.

I have a prepaid Claro number. I tried to find the 500 peso a month/6GB data deal on claro's website. Somehow I can't find it. Is this applicable for pre-paid number? Can you please share the link? Thanks!

Movistar's corporate owner in Spain is thinking about selling its entire latin american division to a different investor, but that should not affect service. The reason anyone would buy it would be to continue service and INCOME to the owner.

I am just finishing the installation of a movistar sim card in an old iphone. my wife did this a few years ago- its more complicated than it should be, but not that bad, and costs a few hundred pesos.

I dont think any of the big 3 here is going to be as simple and transparent as in the USA, but from what I understand, they are all pretty similar. The hangup is going to be their policies on using a US passport number instead of a DNI. With movistar I know you must go first to a movistar office with your passport, then enter its number again, along with a photo of you holding it, online. You should check in person with Claro and Personal about today's procedure, as online info is often either out of date, translated wrong, or just mysteriously different from reality. (this, of course, describes Argentina in general)

I have a prepaid Claro number. I tried to find the 500 peso a month/6GB data deal on claro's website. Somehow I can't find it. Is this applicable for pre-paid number? Can you please share the link? Thanks!

I can see it in Mi Claro "Compra Packs" section. (But you need to be logged in, it is not mentioned on the public site). Also, when buying packs via
*989# USSD code, there is an option to buy 100 minutes for 90 pesos/7 days. Never tried to do it though.

Attachments

• claro.jpg
    claro.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 8
Claro, go to Alto Palermo 3 rd floor,ask for a sim (10 pesos) they Will ask for your passport,generate an order with your new cell #, try to sell you various data packages, you can just ignore them and stay as pre-paid until you decide . All in all it takes 20 minutes! I went through this this week!

... you can just ignore them and stay as pre-paid until you decide

Neil,

When you buy a SIM card from them directly and stay with pre-paid plan, is the SIM card registered in your name?

I think so, once you buy it..its yours post or pre paid

Back