cell phone providers taking your balance

webmistress

Registered
Hello,
I hope that someone can provide some quick and reliable information. I had Claro, then Movistar took over.. for 4 years in Mendoza with a contract and I could also purchase extra time if I exceeded my usage limits. I had no problems with the contract.

I moved to another province and took out another Movistar contract because it was less costly to phone people with the same area code. It was a 1 year contract. I live in the country, no car, little time spent in town centre. I paid for my contract monthly rates, and also bought some of the offers where they offer double or thrice the value of your purchase. This is extremely helpful because I could not phone internationally from my telefonica landline.
I never know when I will need to phone someone in another country. With time zone differences, a large balance was helpful for a virtual "shut-in".

Several times in the first 8 months, I had a large balance (800 pesos) and suddenly I could not make a call, tho the phone told me I had this balance.
I went into town to top-up the balance and no one could explain where my "money" went.

In January I went to cancel my direct debit and cancel my contract. The movistar rep told me I could cancel the direct debit immediately. She also told me that my contract was only for 1 year. In April it would be terminated. I asked her to please make a note that I wanted to change my number to be a "pay as you go" number because I do not use the free numbers which the contract provided, and did not appreciate them stealing money from my balance, leaving me in a dangerous situation if i could not use my mobile.

Today, after Movistar has chased me and now is charging me for 3 months of non-use, they told me that they have every right to remove the balance of money that i have paid into my account if it is not used within 30 days! They can steal my money with no warning. This seems illegal.

Also, they told me that though I told the woman in the movistar office in January that I wanted her to terminate my contract, that did not count as an official termination.

Is there any way that I can recover the monies that Movistar has stolen from me, or be saved from them charging me for a contract that I "cancelled" in their office in January?

This should be illegal .. taking money that someone has paid into an account with no warning!

It is awful!

I suggest you to contact the ombudsman. the national one or the one that belongs to your provincia or city.

Good luck!

btw, are you able to buy a phone card at a kiosco or locutorio and use it to make international phone calls from your land line?

Tks Roxanne.

No, really strange here. You cannot buy a sim card from a locutario.
Pre-paid sim cards cost 400 pesos which gives you some (maybe 100 mins) time. They say it is because they need to charge for providing the "line".

It seems common knowledge to people living locally. They think all of Argentina has this policy. I never experienced it in Mendoza.

AND, when my previous contract was finished in the other area code, movistar allowed me to continue using that card as a "pay as you go" with no extra fees! This policy seems horrific and I cannot imagine how it can be legal.

Sorry, forgot to mention. I have telefonica landline for my alarm and internet service.
They will not allow me to make any national or international calls. Local calls are free.

They tell me that I must have Movistar to make international calls from my home. After similar problems with Directv, I changed to AVC which is coupled with Telecom. I am amazed at the wonderful price! I had to pay 70 pesos to make a call to London to my bank (25 minutes .. much time on hold)! With my new Telecom international number, the cost of 1 call was 12 pesos. Their charge per month is 31 pesos. I save lots of money and time travelling to a locutario, and can phone when it meets the requirements of different time zones.

Thank you Veteran.
Skype is good when both parties can be online at the same time and you are not dealing with a bank or other commercial entity.

Schedules and time zone differences make real-time skype and even instant messenging difficult.

thank you again.

webmistress said:
Thank you Veteran.
Skype is good when both parties can be online at the same time and you are not dealing with a bank or other commercial entity.

Schedules and time zone differences make real-time skype and even instant messenging difficult.

thank you again.
I'm afraid I don't follow you; I frequently use Skype to call banks in the US.

Veteran,
Guess that you are more advanced than me. I am happy with my Telecom international service. I have less trust in anything involving the internet.

You are worldly. Have you ever heard of any mobile service provider being able to remove a customer´s balance from their account? This apparently happens on a 30-day cycle, presumably from the last time the client bought or paid for credit through their contract.

Also, seem to find different info re movistar in Spain and Argentina, though Movistar seems to be a Spanish company. I assume nothing. I just want to be saved from having to pay money to "thieves" who have stolen more money from me than I owe.

That is the main thing I am trying to find out. I have scoured the internet and have not found even 1 site mentioning this. Though, I also get different search results than my friends who live on other continents. Ours are filtered.

I have citizenship in the US and a lifetime visa in Europe, but cannot access even some BBC stations on line.. they do not allow access to people viewing their site in argentina,, same in the US with some political and news sites.

webmistress said:
Thank you Veteran.

thank you again.

If you make a payment to skype you can call any landland or mobile, for places like the USA and Europe its very cheap, you can pay about a US cent per minute.

solerboy said:
If you make a payment to skype you can call any landland or mobile, for places like the USA and Europe its very cheap, you can pay about a US cent per minute.
And toll-free numbers are free (no payment required).

Back