Central America - Nicaragua

lavidabuena

Registered
Am looking into a beach vacation in Central America. Was just wondering if anyone has been to San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua before? If so, what did you think?

The beach immediatley in San Juan del Sur is a bit polluted, go to the beaches out of town. Also, the sea is a bit dangerous there because of the currents, altho warmer than Chile. It is a surfer's paradise. The best beaches in terms of swimming, snorkeling and diving are on the Carribean side of Central America.

Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the American Continent, right after Haiti.

I backpacked almost all of central america and nicaragua was one of my least favorites. Yes, there is good surf on the outskirts of san juan del sur but the beaches itself kinda suck and aren't that pretty. very polluted and the town itself i didn't find appealing. are you looking to surf or lounge on the beach and sleep in hammocks?? Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica was my favorite beach town as well as the San Blas Islands off the Panama coast. Bocas del Toro is also AMAZING with spectacular beaches and less expensive than Puerto Viejo. Obviously the caribbean side has crystal clear beaches along with lush tropical scenery. I personally would never go back to san juan del sur. Enjoy!

San Juan del Sur is actually not bad. It's a funky beach town with some decent gringo run restaurants. Nothing like the beautiful beaches in Thailand, but worth a stop if traveling through central America.

I'm not a beach person but we went to Republica Dominicana in January and loved it -- well, specifically loved Las Terrenas, but Punta Cana got a huge thumbs down from us (fortunately only spent 4 nights there).

Friends went there on our recommendation and loved it as well, they went to Cabarete for kite surfing before hand and had a good time but still preferred Las Terrenas. Good food (tonnes of French and Italians have opened restaurants) and clean beaches that you can easily have to yourself for the entire day. Don't know if that would be case now since we were there a bit early in the year.

Back