Change in Codigo Civil - 3 Months Maximum Rental Term and Commission Paid by Owner

TruchoTango

Registered
Hi,

I am looking for an apartment to rent in Capital.

In my search, people have told me there have been two changes in the Codigo Civil:

1) Agents cannot charge incoming tenants a commission - the commission must be paid by the owner; and

2) A rental term for a temporario cannot be longer than 3 months.

I have looked this up both online and on this forum and can't find an answer. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Doesn't sound correct to me because I pay agents to find a tenant and I know the tenants also pay them a finder's fee. But that's on a long term rental. These days you don't really need to use an agent. There are tons of properties on Airbnb. Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished property?

You can DEFINITELY do temporary longer than 3 months. I've been renting some of my properties on Airbnb and done them as long as 12 months. I only get paid one month at a time but I don't think you're getting good info. Or even if it's the "law" people still pay them.

TruchoTango,

If you don't want to use Airbnb (which I'd still highly recommend as the system works so darn well for both the owner and the tenant) then you can try just finding a place on your own. Use one of the Portal websites like https://www.zonaprop.com.ar/?landingHome=Alquiler Just type in the neighborhood you want and you can easily find rentals in the area, price, etc.

If you don't have a friend that will act as a guarantor, I believe you can buy that service to a company that provides it. Many more options today vs. many years ago. Technology has really made the home buying/renting experience MUCH better and easier in Buenos Aires.

TruchoTango,

If you don't want to use Airbnb (which I'd still highly recommend as the system works so darn well for both the owner and the tenant) then you can try just finding a place on your own. Use one of the Portal websites like https://www.zonaprop.com.ar/?landingHome=Alquiler Just type in the neighborhood you want and you can easily find rentals in the area, price, etc.

If you don't have a friend that will act as a guarantor, I believe you can buy that service to a company that provides it. Many more options today vs. many years ago. Technology has really made the home buying/renting experience MUCH better and easier in Buenos Aires.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been using the pages that you mention and Craigslist.

AirBnB has become uneconomical from a tenant's perspective - at least for rentals longer than a few weeks. As a tenant, you are paying all in dollars, you pay an enormous service fee and you pay everything up front, in an economy with 40% annual inflation. Paying dollars and paying it all upfront changes the calculus considerably.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been using the pages that you mention and Craigslist.

AirBnB has become uneconomical from a tenant's perspective - at least for rentals longer than a few weeks. As a tenant, you are paying all in dollars, you pay an enormous service fee and you pay everything up front, in an economy with 40% annual inflation. Paying dollars and paying it all upfront changes the calculus considerably.

Well, yes it's typically more expensive but judging from your name (Trucho) there certainly are a lot of "truchos" when it comes to short-term property rentals in Buenos Aires. Also, sometimes you get a lower rental price but then you have issues or problems that the owner doesn't fix or address. With Airbnb at least if you're problem is not addressed you don't pay or can leave. Airbnb is really geared well with protecting the rental guest. All the changes they have made over the years really benefit the rental guests more than the owners.

I'm not saying you can't find a good deal on a furnished rental on your own but you're going to spend a lot of time typically and even then there is no guarantee that you won't have issues with the property or the owner. Airbnb basically ensures that you won't have any serious issues and if so you can get out of the contract easily. You might be paying dollars up front with Airbnb but they don't release it to the owner on a long-term lease except month by month to protect you.

If not saying that Airbnb is the only way but definitely it's the safest and hassle free these days.

Doesn't sound correct to me because I pay agents to find a tenant and I know the tenants also pay them a finder's fee. But that's on a long term rental. These days you don't really need to use an agent. There are tons of properties on Airbnb. Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished property?

You can DEFINITELY do temporary longer than 3 months. I've been renting some of my properties on Airbnb and done them as long as 12 months. I only get paid one month at a time but I don't think you're getting good info. Or even if it's the "law" people still pay them.

Wrong. Tenants now do not have to pay. They also created insurances for renting like Finaer. It was a law, not the CC.

The law forbidds to do temporary rental contracts so long, however, you can also kill people and that is Ok unless you are discovered ;).

Wrong. Tenants now do not have to pay. They also created insurances for renting like Finaer. It was a law, not the CC.

The law forbidds to do temporary rental contracts so long, however, you can also kill people and that is Ok unless you are discovered ;).

Ah, ok. So it must be like the law that you should stay in your lane while driving down the road. Ha, ha. I didn't know about this law but then again probably do a lot of other people. As mentioned, these go on all the time.

Ah, ok. So it must be like the law that you should stay in your lane while driving down the road. Ha, ha. I didn't know about this law but then again probably do a lot of other people. As mentioned, these go on all the time.

Well, the tenant can refuse to leave and you cannot enforce an eviction and he can stay there for 2 years paying in pesos according to market prices in pesos and he can deposit in a bank account assigned to the Court meanwhile if you resuse to accept it. FYI.

It is true that today, you don't need an agent to find an apartment. The internet makes apartment searches easier.

But when an agent is employed by the owner and therefore controls the apartment you want, there seems to be no choice. Pay some ridiculous commission and get the apartment, or move on. This is what sucks.

When I visited last year I used ByTArgentina to rent an apartment for a month. MUCH cheaper than Air B&B. Had an excellent experience, the owner and agent met me to let me in even early on a Sunday morning and they were very helpful. Excellent response via email and phone when making the reservations from the US. Modern apartment in a security building in Palermo near all the transport. When one of the bedroom blinds broke, the owner went out of her way to get it fixed immediately. They have many furnished properties and I'm sure you could find something for a 3-month stay. I'm using them for a trip next year when I'm planning on at least 6 months. Definitely recommend.

Back