Change in expat attitudes?

sergio

Registered
Do I detect a change in the attitudes of expats? Any post critical of problems in Argentina used to be met with emotional denials, insistence that life in BA was a virtual paradise. I now sense general agreement that the crime and inflation situations are very serious. Those who argue otherwise seem to be few and far between. Have the expat apologists left or have them become realistic?

I am one of those expats with a changed attitude. I used to believe there was light at the end of the tunnel, and it seems to be dimming with each incident. I don't plan to leave just yet, but I definitely don't have the same hope as I once did for this land. I am sorry Argentina, I still love you but my heart is breaking.......

Anecdotally, I have heard more expats and locals alike actually make plans for (rather than just talk about) leaving in the past 6 to 8 weeks. It is hard to put my finger on it, but there is generally less optimism around these days. I know a lot of expats who went home at Christmas and just decided to not come back, or to come back briefly and then move.

Most romances break up just after the summer and you know, BA is a harsh lover...she's intense and demanding. ;-)

She's a maaaaaneater...little Hall and Oates for those of you born in the early to mid seventies. haha.

i know two recent expats planning on leaving earlier than planned and am also seriously considering it.

I'm leaving too...sick of these Portenos and all their shitty problems and arrogance.

Arrogance for nothing I might add...the food here is crappy, the quality of pretty much everything is 3rd rate and the people are lazy, rude and deceitful. What's to like...1 in 100 people? No thanks.

I don't know - even when times were good - very few "expats" lasted more than a year or two at most. And now that things are getting expensive and security is getting worse (or at least it feels that way), it is any shock that people would leave earlier than expected?

I have chosen to make my life here but it's not easy. A year ago, I seriously didn't know if I would last here. And I have access to a support network and a job which make life much easier than the one the average expat faces.

Back