Change in expat attitudes?

It seems one has to put on an "ass-hole games face" just to survive a three block walk anymore. There was a time when walking around was most enjoyable, not anymore. Common courtesy is the exception, not the rule. Maybe it is me that has the problem? Either way, do not enjoy Buenos Aires as I once did.

I'm leaving and taking my Argentine partner with me, but it wasn't like my honeymoon with Argentina abruptly came to a halt. It just took time for me to get to know the country and realize that, while I love some things about it, it's no place to start a career or a family. All of the warts that are easy to overlook for chunks of 6 or 9 months would make me miserable over the course of years. At the same time, my partner has property and family here, so it's nice to know that I'll be able to return regularly, enjoy BA like a tourist, and then get the hell back to civilization faster than you can say "Rapipago".

Johnny said:
I've been here most of the past five years. Left three times for two months each time and always returned. Twice I had no intention of returning and did anyhow. It's easier to do when you're solo and can work from nearly anywhere. I think at times about leaving again, but where to ? I have friends here, have adapted to most of the negative things and am unsure as to which grass might be greener. Clearly some of Argentina's imperfections have been more noticeable recently, but I'm not convinced that a move elsewhere won't result in just as many imperfections, though maybe a different set of issues. My biggest gripe is the food. Honestly, most of the rest I tolerate pretty well. There are crooks in all countries, whether they be the Argentine scalawags or the suited, superficial gougers and nickel and dimers elsewhere.

No, the corruption in BA is everywhere. It's simply NOT the same in the US, UK or other developed countries I am familiar with.

NikBaires said:
I think the majority of the negative attitude stems for the large decrease in buying power. Many of us used to live like kings and queens....now have been reduced to actually watching a budget.

This is exactly the reason for the change in attitude... people used to come here because it was super cheap and they would always claim the reason they were here was for something different-- like tango, or french architecture or some crap. But you knew the truth was just because they liked that almost everything was free if you were earning foreign income.

I came here..looking for a new country to live in (have lived in several)...to experience a new culture. Money was fortunately not the issue. Having lived here 1 year.. I made the decision to move. I had already lived in Turkey prior to my move here for over 6 years... and was certain I did not need another 5 of much the same. If costs of living in BsAs are similar, the same, or more than European or US cities... why would I want to live in Buenos Aires. There are much less corrupt, cleaner, safer, places for oneself and family to live... Those that are leaving.. for the most part, simply have a choice...and have chosen a better life.
Those that do not have the opportunity to leave... might complain and point fingers... but the facts are..their will be more poop on the sidewalks, corruption will grow..inflation will continue, crime will rise... and it will all collapse again.

Well, having been away from BsAs on vacation since the middle of January, I am looking forward to coming "home" on Friday. It may not be perfect, but I like it, I have many friends in BsAs, both ex-pat and locals, and look forward to enjoying the autumn.

In my opinion, nowhere is Utopia, we make it what it is ourselves. As they say, if you don't like it, then move on, especially those who seem able to work anywhere in the world. For those reading these fora before embarking on a journey, there is still a lot of good things here (see other posts), and you will be welcome - Not everyone paints the same picture of the place.

Many of the nice things about Argentina will be enjoyed only if you are Argentinean. Listening to an Aliverti editorial on the radio while sipping mate and discussing politics with the local newspaper-stand man; going to see a friend unannounced and staying until 2 AM talking about anything just because (and you and your friend are over 30); sitting in a cafe and staying there for three hours with your Sunday newspaper, consuming only a cafe con leche and two mediaslunas; talking with strangers, and getting to know the story of their lives in the time the train takes from Ituzaingo to Once; things like that.

I lived before in first-world countries, and order is nice, but the materialism and individualism are not. Not all the argentinians are like those living in Belgrano-Palermo-Recoleta.

About quality of life: I would carrefully consider advantages and disadvantages,since the 1st World is currently in a crisis and depending on your connections and profession you could have a better life in Argentina... or not.

About our arrogance: I feel that expats think that because they are not in Sweden people should be more humble. It is after all our country and it is not a bad country at all. I am sorry that we think of ourselves as (gasp!) equals to you, but as the joke goes "we are Italians that speak Spanish and think that we are French".

If you have children in the house, it's hard to stay when there are so many violent robberies. On the expat site alone we have heard of at least 5 armed robberies that have happened in a few months.....it's a percentage that's too high to ignore.

I to am of the same opinion whereby the Novelty has DEFINITELY worn off. I've been down here for a year and a half because I wanted to be here. I wanted to learn Castellano, am taking classes three times a week, and had been enjoying my time. But now it seems as though it's a prison sentence.

Unlike a lot of people on this forum, I actually really enjoy the food, enjoy living in the big city, and it's great being an environment where i'm constantly learning things. However, my friendship base is nonexistent, customer service sucks, they picket in the middle of the fcking street during rush hour while police officers look on, electronics/cars are double the cost, I live in a building full of chetos who have 0 respect for anything or anyone, prices are rising faster than the exchange rate, lines are outrageous, everything closes early (and when it rains, they don't even open), Crime is through the roof, and I think I've had it... I, like many, had the preconceived notion that this place was cheap, but it's anything but cheap. That used to be the case when it came to steak and wine, but even those are now going up in price.

Maybe like others on this forum, I need to take a break for a couple months and go back to the US, but I prob wouldn't come back...

I arrived here for the first time in 2001 and attitudes towards Argentina are much the same now as they were then. Its just cyclical.
I do think, though, that one of expats' primary gripes are the prices/local salaries. I haven't noticed a maaajor hike in "inseguridad"...I just think that things become much less tolerable when they're not balanced out by $2 cocktails and 40 grand apartments...
I'm sure things will eventually get better though...whether I'll still be here to see it remains unknown!

Back