change in rental laws?

nikad said:
My bad, here is the law and it says nothing about being a perm resident http://www.inforemate.com/rc/pdfs/ley23091.htm it is possible that some RE agencies try to get you to sign a temp contract as they usually charge more for those :)

Well over a year ago a friend of mine from Uruguay called Banco Supervielle (when someone made a post about their guarantee) and was told that I could not get one from them because I did not have permanent residency in Argentina.

Geez, well I am signing a new rental contract tomorrow to move to a new place ( 2 yrs contract ) Unfortunately after 5 years in the same apartment, we decided to move.Both the real estate agency and the landlord were very flexible and nice, however it seems like they do not think ( along with the building managers ) that having little or no water at times during the day, could be a problem...

Am I reading it correctly that would only affect long-term rentals? (ie if someone is renting an apt short-term, it wouldn't change anything?)

citygirl said:
Am I reading it correctly that would only affect long-term rentals? (ie if someone is renting an apt short-term, it wouldn't change anything?)

That's correct. Excluded are furnished rentals for tourism purposes. Although the exclusion will not apply if the rental agreement goes beyond 3 months.

I think this is a positive change in rental laws in BA. I personally would much rather have a bank as a guarantor than say my Mother in Law. Although Banks in Argentina have extremely poor customer service/response histories I do not see how they could be capable of withholding rents from Landlords if the tenant is in possession of a deposit receipt.
A glut of new properties for sale on the market is a problem, however lets see if that manifests itself. There are pros and cons for certain has Argentina ever passed a law not fraught with pros and cons?

-As far as I know you don't need a permanent residency for signing a regular 2 year rent. Many times Argentines don't know that there is a legal form of residence which can be renewed every year. Only thing is that maybe some landlords/agencies don't want to take the risk that somebody get's kicked out of the country, but legaly that wouldn't have to be a problem to comply with the signed contract.

-Being Dutch and knowing the worst rental-laws in the world (those of Amsterdam) I expect that the market will find its solutions to find a way to partly deal with the maximum rent (related to fiscal declared value).

-Short term leases in this case would only be possible for the maximum of 3 months instead of 6 now.

-about the warrant issue. I know several cases where it was possible to skip this by paying a lot of months upfront. Of course in this case you'll need the financial space to be able to do this.

Suerte!

I have never heard that only expats with permanent residency can sign a 2-year lease contract. I have nothing in terms of residency, DNI, etc. Even my visa has expired, no one seemed to have minded when I signed a regular 2-year contract for my house. They asked me exactly the same they would have asked for an argentine: the property garantor (anyone who owns a property and would sign the guarante for me). And though I did not have one, I still signed my 2 year contract for a premim property.
That said: the rules are flexible, here more than anywhere else.

In Australia we have a fairly efficient rental system. The bond paid is one months rent. It is paid to a legislative instument called the rental bond board, the 'keeper' of the bond. Contracts are clear and there is a standard contract used by all leases. The standard contract keeps legal costs low when there is a dispute because the legal system already understands the contract and so do the lawyers. Finally, the legal system is quick to respond, is impartial and without extensive delays and costs. Finally, the owner of the property takes out 'rental insurance' which covers tenant property damage. The premiums are very low.

Here in Argentina it would seem that there is no standard rental contract nor is there a 'rental bond board'. I could be wrong but from personal experience I have signed two different rental leases over the last 4 years and both were quite different in content and purpose. Both times I had to engage the services of a lawyer to ensure that the contract was legit.

The lack of a standard contract increases legal costs as each contract is quite different which leads to complexities when renting and when resolving disputes. Further, the guarantee of an unencumbered property or a substancial financial deposit is required to overcome legal inefficiencies and delays. e.g. I can stop paying rent in my current BA rental and live here happily for 12-24 months until the legal system kicks in to throw me out. The legal costs will be huge for the owner, I would lose my deposit or my guarantor would be hit for huge costs... either way, it would be expensive and painful for all involved.

In my opinion, The proposed changes are not really solving the core problem which is an inefficient legal system. If Argentines really wanted to resolve the rental problem once and for all they would standardise rental contracts, ensure that disputes were handled efficiently. By implementing strategies that reduce cost they would allow the system to 'auto correct' itself over time.

rmartinbuenosaires said:
Everyday its something else. Funny thing is....people ACTUALLY want to open up businesses here too? I don't get it.

Watch out btw. That money that the government is not going to now be getting from the electricity/gas increases is going to have to come from somewhere? What will the next great announcement be, specifically relating to foreigners?

How about, "Hey, all you foreigners with multiple entry stamps in your passports that prove you have been living here for more than six months of the year, you owe us taxes on your worldwide income and assets, as well as penalties and interest...for each and every year you have been here."

and

"Hey, all you (non resident) foreign owners of apartments in Argentina, you owe us taxes on the rental income we assume you have been receiving but not reporting, as well as property taxes, penalties, and interest."

Reactions: RWS
Back