change in rental laws?

WHERE can I find this rule about 3 month rentals for for foreigners? I never even knew that there is currently a six month limit. Where is this stated?

rmartinbuenosaires said:
Everyday its something else. Funny thing is....people ACTUALLY want to open up businesses here too? I don't get it.

Watch out btw. That money that the government is not going to now be getting from the electricity/gas increases is going to have to come from somewhere? What will the next great announcement be, specifically relating to foreigners?

In addition to my previous answer to this question:

How about, "Hey, all you foreigners with multiple entry stamps in your passports that prove you have been living here for more than six months of the year, you owe us taxes on your worldwide income and assets, as well as penalties and interest...for each and every year you have been here."

and

"Hey, all you (non resident) foreign owners of apartments in Argentina, you owe us taxes on the rental income we
assume you have been receiving but not reporting, as well as property taxes, penalties, and interest."

I should add that the latter has already begun.

sergio said:
WHERE can I find this rule about 3 month rentals for for foreigners? I never even knew that there is currently a six month limit. Where is this stated?

The 3 month term is what is proposed in the new law (read back in this thread). It does not mean that as a foreigner / tourist you can only rent for 3 months and no more. It says that property owners will have an exclusion from this new proposed rent-control law, so long they rent a furnished space for the purpose of tourism and for no more than 3 months per contract.

Which means that if they want to rent a tourist/expat a furnished place, for say 6 months, they will have to adhere to the proposed law and rent price controls. Probably good for the tourist/expat if they do, but not for the landlord. The effect on tourists/expats is not clear, but may be they will have to renew rental contracts, or move, every 3 months if the landlord does not want to be under this new law.

Re: 6mo... I don't know much about the "current" 6 month limit for temp rentals. I've heard about it from a few rental agencies I've dealth with in the past few years, but I don't know if it is a real law or something made up. But I think it applies to the property owner as well, and not the renter. Probably someone here knows for sure... ?

I here about the impossability of renting apartments (by foreigners) here all the time. But in my experience (I am on my third apartment, the last two 1 year contracts) it isn't always so. Some landlords are thick headed and want to to do it the way they always did it. But in my three cases I wasn't even asked for a garantie, much less provided one. A few letters of reference (got you bank to just something saying you have a good credit and have an average of $xxxx put into your account each month) seem to work wonders here.

And if the landlord gives you a hard time, tell him/her to piss off. There are lots of apartments out there and some landlords are cool. All three of mine have been amazingly agreeable. Far more than I ever recall in Canada, the US, France or Africa.

Back