Changing Us $ To Pesos

I tried to send you a personal message to no avail. Estebandepraga and I have been using the same guy for a long time. He has a store located in the vicinity of Scalabrini Ortiz and Sante Fe. If you contact Estebande I'm sure that he will give you Caros' phone number and address or come to Coffee Chat on Tuesday.

I dont believe much has really changed at the retail level. If you were a big corporation, maybe.
I think the cueva on Anasgasti, right across from the main entrance to the Alto Palermo mall, is your best bet, closest to where you live.
Anasgasti is only one block long, its about half way down on the scalabrini side of the street, you ring the bell and the lady who is always about to fall out of her blouse lets you in.
I have been using that one for over five years, its totally safe and honest.
No sign, of course.

Dying laughing about the "lady who is always about to fall out of her blouse," who has welcomed us with besos ever since our first trip there in 2005. Anasagasti dead-ends right onto the Santa Fe entrance to Alto Palermo.

Check bluelytics for the spread. Often the spread is bigger with the blue. My local Patagonian cueva just rounds up or down -up to 10-15cts-, so it is easier and quicker to change. The official change house wants documentation and gives the official rate. Have not tried a bank, as I do not have one and lines are too long anyway. But I do not see why they would offer a different rate from any of the official casa de cambios.

So, short answer: it depends. On the exact rate, your cueva's policies, value of your time.

Request a update:

Now that the official and blue rates are essentially the same (14.5) and Cueva is only giving 14.2, am I better off going to an official change house or a bank? Will I get the 14.5 minus commission? How much is the commission? Any recent experiences?

Thanks, T/

Frankly this is like asking everybody where to buy the cheapest bananas. It will be different everywhere, every day.
Just check the costs and effective rate close to you and think about the time spent and if 1% difference is worth the time reading these forums :)

Frankly this is like asking everybody where to buy the cheapest bananas. It will be different everywhere, every day.
Just check the costs and effective rate close to you and think about the time spent and if 1% difference is worth the time reading these forums :)
Sorry to bother you. Just trying to do some crowd sourcing.

Has anyone used the official route and did you get the official rate and what was the cost of doing the transaction?

Thanks again, T/

Do cuevas accept $20 bills now and is there any penalty for giving twenties instead of hundreds?

Back