Charged twice at the ATM

Churchill

Registered
Went to the ATM, withdrew about 200 pounds with my UK debit card. Then through internet banking find that the runts have charged me twice. This is the second time in the last 18 months this has happened to me, once with Standard Bank and now with HSBC. I have to now jump through all sorts of hoops to get my money back. Have I just been unlucky or are Argentine banks just a bunch of fuckwits?

Just recently happened to me too (after hundreds of withdrawals). I contacted Schwab and they said they would open an investigation. Within 10 days I had the money back in my account while the investigation was proceeding. That was about 45 days ago and I have not heard anything else.

How do you get it back? Does it show up on your bank transactions as the original amount (ie 200) or the doubled amount (ie 400)? Thanks!

I noticed it because I had $1000, $1000, $500 and $500 on the same day. That is over the $2500 daily limit, so I knew that something was wrong. I probably would not have noticed it otherwise.

Happened to me a few times in Brazil.
Do not even consider approaching the staff of the local bank, unless you are bored and easily amused, as you'll only get shirking and dumb excuses. Keep whatever receipts you have, call your bank, and let them take care of it.

Back