Che Boludo: A Gringo's Guide To Understanding The Argentines

A friend printed up a copy of that when I first came to Argentina to help me understand lunfardo. I mostly remember enjoying the glossary of terms, but there was a bit more to it right? I'll have to check it out again.
Well, frankly, it's not a lot information, and it is not so much aimed at lunfardo itself, but more at general streetwise sayings. I do recognize a few words that I usually find in tango lyrics.

Still, it could have been worse. They might have forced me to install the Ask search bar or worse still by a long shot, Incredimail.
I never heard of that one, but thanks for the valuable information. I am gonna create an account called [email protected] and subsequently see an enormous rise in my quality of life.

Still, it could have been worse. They might have forced me to install the Ask search bar or worse still by a long shot, Incredimail.

Don't forget bonzi buddy!

tumblr_m7jrgz50NR1qg25ugo1_400.jpg

Adri and her son refer to me as gringo or el gringete most of the time and it's all done in the best possible taste.

Well that's interesting. I've never heard that word used here - Yankee being the preferred nickname. Gringo sounds more like Mexican slang to me. :p

While Gringo and Yanqui refers to the same thing, the first one in Argentina could be labeled as a pejorative term. Not by everyone of course, but Yanqui has become the most popular option such as Porteño. The word itself doesn't express an opinion on his own, is just used to refer to US Population as "American" isn't especified enough and "Estadounidense" is not really used. Gringo may have a negative connotation by some folks, such as the way someone could pronounce "Boliviano" as an insult. Don't be alarmed if someone calls you that, it may be used in the best way possible, but at least I associate the word with the mexican folklore of US rejection.

As a general rule, "gringo" is freely applied to people of fair hair and anglo/northern european looks. Not necessarily or exclusively foreigners.

Yanqui is obviously used for our North American friends across the water.
But since I'm Welsh, although I get gringo and gringete thrown at me, it doesn't really work.

The other day Adri's lad was describing some gadget he'd seen: 'es de la c****a de su madre!'
I tried to build up a mental picture of this great gadget but gave up at the first hurdle.

Back