Cheap Contact Lenses in BA?

Just thought I´d update:

Similar to the scandal about the foreign meds not entering the country, I cannot get my contact lenses in BA at all because my lenses are toric and Moreno has blocked all of the imports of the companies that make this type of lens (Bausch and Lomb, Johnson & Johnson, etc) The Argentine national brands do not make this type of lens AT ALL. I went to about 12 OPTICAS and most of them gave me my favourite Argy expression: Y, ES COMPLICADO VISTE?

Curiously of the 12 opticas, one of them tried to sell me a sample of a similar lens he had laying around some drawer literally, the kind that say SAMPLE ONLY-NOT FOR RE-SALE-for 200 pesos.
One of them was nice and gave me a sample pair free of charge and, like a truly smart business man, took down my info and said if things changed with the imports, he´d call me to process my order.

Have you tried Walmart Optica ? Iam going there for my glasses tomorrow. If the lenses have a name let me know and I will ask for you.

I didnt go to Wal Mart, I should have, I mostly hit up the opticas in Recoleta, everything from smaller mom & pop type places to a chain store like Vision +
Bausch and Laumb are the ones I usually get, but at this point I am not picky: Lentes toricas (toric lenses) are what I need

I'm going to walmart tomorrow to order contacts (toric here as well) so I'll let you know.

My husband wears toric lenses that he buys here. He goes to Pfortners (the original, Pueyrredon branch in Recoleta) and gets them specially made. If you can't get a friend to bring them over, that might be your best option. My husband had major problems finding decent eye care/lenses here since he was a boy (he has a significant prescription and astigmatism) and won't go anywhere else. If you need a prescription, which I think you will if you go there, I can find out his optician for you (who is also hasn't switched from in about 18 years!).

rrptownley said:
I´ve never needed a prescription here, nor even a box, I just shout my numbers and hand over my cash.

So where do you go to get your contacts?

Is cleaning/storage solution getting harder to find or more expensive as well? Or do they produce here? I usually use Opti-Free and tend to bring it from the States, but I've run out and will have to buy here. :rolleyes:

I have one toric lens as well, so maybe I'll just rely a bit more on my trusty old glasses! ;)

Go to the many , many eyeglass places next to Hospital Santa Lucia, the best eye hospital in Argentina! check prices......A year ago I bought my last box of Acu-Vue lenses (a box of 6) for 50 pesos! The hospital is on San Juan between Sarandi Y Rincon....Just DON'T go on Christmas Day! That is when there will be HUNDREDS of Argentines there all asking"Gee I didn' know it would blow up in my face!"....Just come with the numbers or an old package.....no prescription needed.....

Went to Walmart DOT BAires today. I asked the guy for your lenses and he seemed confident that he will be able to find something if you are not fussed about the make.He says he currently has disposables and non disposables. Hope it helps.

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has had any luck ordering lenses online and getting them delivered via the post?

Back