Cheap store to buy whisky?

Liam3494 said:
As an irishman, I can tell you that Jameson is cheaper here than it is in Ireland, and if you ever have reason to go to Colonia :))), then the duty free makes it silly money - compared to home.

I love a good whiskey, and can confess to being partial to a decent whisky too, but Famous Grouse isn't something I would partake off. When it comes to Scotch, I prefer the single malts, with Bowmore being my fave. But each of us have own own palette, which makes drinking and talking about it all, so rewarding.

I am only talking about it these days.

My comment about those two scotches was based on going to dinner with some friends at a swanky apartment in Edinburgh, now almost 20 years ago, and seeing that the single malt bottle in the place was Glenmorangie and the only blended was Famous Grouse ... so I asked.

Until I stopped drinking hard stuff, I drank mostly Glenmorangie, with occasional expensive forays into Highland Park territory.

This isn't whiskey but there is locally produced rum and gin, which are quite cheap and not that bad. In the scotch whiskey department they do have Teachers fairly cheap, not great but drinkable. I was told it was cheap because it is shipped here in bulk and then bottled locally.

Christopher Hitchins is dying of Whiskey Cancer?

I had no idea.

I was sure it was a backup of nasty bile inside that got him sick.

I have met several 100 year olds who still drink a bit of scotch now and then.
I am unconvinced that sipping in moderation is gonna be what kills me...

Last night I happened by the licor store on Guido and Callao:

Glen Morangie $219!!

Be there Monday!

Ries said:
Christopher Hitchins is dying of Whiskey Cancer?

I had no idea.

I was sure it was a backup of nasty bile inside that got him sick.

I have met several 100 year olds who still drink a bit of scotch now and then.
I am unconvinced that sipping in moderation is gonna be what kills me...

Hitchens has esophageal cancer, which is almost always a direct result from years of heavy smoking and drinking, which causes, or helps to cause, stomach acid regurgitating into the soft tissue of the esophagus, burning the tissue over and over until the area becomes cancerous. It has a heavy mortality rate; I believe only one or two percent of such patients survive 5 years.

For every anecdotal story of 100 year old grandpappy who chawed t'baccy, smoked fifty cigars a day, drank a liter of moonshine to wash down his bacon sandwiches, and died in bed with the 20-year-old neighbor twin gals astride him, there are thousands, make that millions, of people dying decades before their time, in quite painful and brutal ways, as a direct result of dumb lifestyle choices.

Not to mention the massive drain on health care resources helping these people hang on to the last horrible weeks of life, people whose choices put them in that place.

Oops, that sure looks like a rant to me. Sorry. Go on about your business and just ignore that outburst.

But I sure am going to miss Hitch's books, essays, and lectures.

Back