Cheese please!

I agree with cujodu. The meat here is very average. I'll take a Mortens cajun ribeye anyday over any steak here

balle13112 said:
I agree with cujodu. The meat here is very average. I'll take a Mortens cajun ribeye anyday over any steak here

The meat is much better than average for meat that is (1) Recently butchered and (2) Only covered in salt.

But there in lies the rub... or lack there of.

In the States (or maybe European countries) the better steak places (1) AGE their beef, (2) Apply various rubs, marinades, or other spices and/or (3) Serve the beef with an array of sauces.

Here it is ALWAYS just salted and most often, it is over cooked. This can produce great steaks, but after a while the lack of creativity gets extremely boring to the palate.

The few places that spice up their meat options are usually extremely expensive compared to the alternatives.

First of all, Pategrass is NOT from South America, it's from France.
I would say that France, Italy and Switzerland have the best cheese, in fourth place would be Argentine cheese, certainly NOT british cheese or american cheese, since Brit and Gringo cuisine is probably among the three worst cuisines in the whole planet.
Maybe british and american taste has degenerated in such a way because of their crapy food, that now they can't just feel the difference.-

argiegirl said:
I would say that France, Italy and Switzerland have the best cheese, in fourth place would be Argentine cheese, certainly NOT british cheese or american cheese, since Brit and Gringo cuisine is probably among the three worst cuisines in the whole planet.
Maybe british and american taste has degenerated in such a way because of their crapy food, that now they can't just feel the difference.-

If Denmark & Holland aren't listed in the Top 5, then this list is simply spitballing to see what will stick.

I haven't been here long, but I've noticed you can find a decent blue cheese at your local store.

I don't know where you grew up, argiegirl, but American cuisine is still some of the best I've had in the world. But I grew up on a cattle ranch and Grandma always cooked better than any French chef. ;)

Also, in finding a decent cheese, it probably helps living in a Porteña neighborhood. I've always found some really good cheeses in Caballito and Almagro, always a block away from where I've lived. But then again, as I mentioned, I haven't been here for long.

argiegirl said:
Re: Confused.....

argiegirl; "sobre gustos no hay nada escrito". el paladar y los gustos varian de persona a persona, igual que de cultura a cultura. the same way you think "brit & gringo" cuisine are "crap", others can think the same about argie food. no hay por que confundirse con esto ni enojarse. welcome to the forum. ;)

Best place to buy cheeses are always in the fiambrerias. There is one on Matienzo that I think is just called "La Fiambreria" that has a good selection, they also have great sandwiches and a small selectin of microbrews. It's on Matienzo between Soldado de la Independencia and Migueletes.

Also, anyone that is into cheese or meats should make a visit to the feria/mercado de Belgrano, on Jurament between Cabildo and Cramer (sorry can't be more specific), or the mercado at Primera Junta en Caballito.

However the best cheeses are to be bought outside of town. We just bought some fantastic artesanal cheese in La Lucila at the finde, but even if you are just headed out to La Plata there are usually stands selling their goods. If you have the chance to go to Cordoba province you will get fantastic salamin.

The best blue cheese here hands down is Veronica. There are others that are more expensive, others for cheaper, but Veronica is the creamiest and nicely stinky.

At the fiambreria I mentioned at the start you can get a nice selection of imported cheeses and I have seen american cheddar although I've never bought the stuff -- horrible cheese as far as I'm concerned. Bright orange and plasticky -- completed mutated from it's original form. Aged cheddar, mmmm that's an entirely different matter -- one of those cheeses that I'm dreaming about months before I go home for a visit.

Back