Children`s Books in English??

marcopolo

Registered
Hi

I have thoroughly exhausted the limited supply of English books that I read to my two boys (3 & 5). Can anyone suggest where I can buy used (or even new if reasonably priced ) English children`s books?

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark -- I've occasionally seen some in Yenny (various locations) and in the book store on Thames and about Costa Rica in Palermo (can't remember what it's called) Try the Ateneo, they have the biggest selection, and KELS is the english language bookstore (which may or may not have any for kids that young).

If you don't have any luck at the bookstores, do make sure to go to the Book Fair -- it will be coming up in April and is the largest one in Latin America. If you have the chance, go on a weekday morning, it gets incredibly busy. There's usually a decent amount of english lanugage books, and pretty much every publisher in Buenos Aires has a stand, so you should have some chance of stocking up for the year. google Feria del Libro to find out the exact dates

Hmm just looked it up, they won't be open in the mornings this year -- from 2pm on:

Fechas y horarios de funcionamiento

Del 22 de abril al 10 de mayo de 2010

• Jueves 22 de abril, de 18:00 a 22:00
  • Domingos a jueves, de 14:00 a 22:00
  • Viernes y sábados, de 14:00 a 23:00
  • Sábado 1.º de mayo, en el Día del Trabajador, abierta desde
    las 14:00 y por celebrarse La Noche de la Ciudad extiende su
    horario de cierre hasta la 01:00

http://www.el-libro.org.ar/

I know that I have posted this link before but the British Cultural Library has an OK selection of children's books - not great, but worth a visit I think and they are always very nice when you turn up there with children in tow.

http://www.aaci.org.ar/bcl.htm

Hi Mark - ever been to the massive book store - almost all for children on Marcelo T. de. Alvear. Roughly between Uruguay and Talcahuano. Fantastic range of English books!

Lea said:
Hi Mark - ever been to the massive book store - almost all for children on Marcelo T. de. Alvear. Roughly between Uruguay and Talcahuano. Fantastic range of English books!

We're trying to figure out how many books to bring, especially for my 6 year old who's an "early reader." Does anyone know the name of this bookstore? Any other suggestions? How much more will we pay for English kids books in BsAs than in the US? We're absolutely fine with used books.

Thanks!

Books in general are very much more expensive here than in the USA, but with extra baggage charges it probably makes very little sense to try and bring a tonne of books with you, unless your company is paying for a container, in which case I'd stuff it to the gills!

However, Amazon does deliver to Argentina, it can take some time (a month or so for delivery) but they do arrive, so you're probably best off bringing some books, buying some here, and buying some online to supplement.

marcopolo said:
Hi

I have thoroughly exhausted the limited supply of English books that I read to my two boys (3 & 5). Can anyone suggest where I can buy used (or even new if reasonably priced ) English children`s books?

Thanks
Mark

Mark, Kell is excellent for childrens books from 3 months upwards...they have a large stock of Usborne and are always bringing in new titles..my kids are known by name there as we really enjoy picking up new books when we can ...and the prices are same as back home. I`d offer to share my used ones with you but theyre all in boxes heading back to Europe.
The Kell I go to is the one on Avda La plata in Caballito but the one in Belgrano should be equally if not better stocked re vast quantity of English schools nearby.

syngirl said:
Books in general are very much more expensive here than in the USA,

Syngirl you have never written a post I havent agreed with and maybe Im out of the US and Europe too long but I dont see the big price hike applied to books as it is to food say for example. You can pick up a new Usborne book for a 3yr old, hardback for 25 pesos or less...and whilst I know of the fabulous price offers that many book outlets have n the US you wont get new books mich cheaper than 25 pesos at Barnes & Noble say.
Buying new is a lovely luxury if you love books as much as we do but the best low cost bet is to hook up with other parents who like to share books which is what we do at our sons`schools.

Back