Chili cook-off

Oh fun! I just made a kick-ass batch of chili last weekend - so yummy when its cold out :)

jnicolai said:
I am a chef, tell me more.
[email protected]

Everything one needs to know is available at the official site:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_231107796906471

For the quick info on it, I did a quick post on the subject:

1st Annual BA Chili Cookoff:

PLACE:
Genó Beer Bar, Guatemala 5499, Barrio Palermo, Buenos Aires

DATE/TIME:
Sunday, 3rd of July, 1pm. Volunteers need to be there about 11am. Cooks need to be in position about noon. Judges and the General Public come in about 1pm to kick everything off.

Winners will be announced at 4pm or when there is no more chili, whichever comes first.

PRICES:
5 peso Chili (175 cc)
5 peso Cornbread from El Tejano
5 peso Tortillas de Pancho Villa
5 peso Cookies and Goodies from Sugar & Spice
5 peso Draft Beer de Quilmes and Buenos Aires largest selection of Imported Beers from GENÓ Beer Bar

As for signing up, there are only spots for backup cooks now in case someone cancels.

This event is going to be awesome. With the demand looking huge I recommend getting there early.

WHERE CAN I FIND GREEN CHILE? im from new mexico and put chile on everything and have yet to find any here. suggestions?

We found Jalapenos at the Carrefour on Sante Fe between Riobamba and Ayuacucho.

You can also try the Supermarkets in Barrio Chino in Belgrano. They have everything you would need.

Pretty much any verduleria should have them. Especially ones run by people from Bolivia or Peru. There are plenty of super hot ones in the verdulerias in San Telmo.

mdoeren said:
WHERE CAN I FIND GREEN CHILE? im from new mexico and put chile on everything and have yet to find any here. suggestions?

If you are looking for New Mexico green chili as described below...you will probably not find them in Buenos Aires.

"The flavor of green chili is influenced most by the kind of green chiles you decide to use. There are about 200 varieties of chiles, only three or four of which are commonly used in green chili.

Traditional New Mexican green chiles are a special variety that were originally bred in New Mexico from Anaheims, and which (last I knew) aren't grown outside that state. The growing climate and the varietal breeding has created chiles that are both hotter and more flavorful. Of these, my personal favorites are "Big Jim" New Mexican chiles ... plenty of fire but also lots of flavor. Anaheims have some flavor but very little fire,"

Back