Chocolate data

Davidglen77

Registered
During the almost 5 years that I've lived in Buenos Aires, I have heard many complaints from foreigners about the chocolate here. There is very good chocolate available in Argentina, but it tends to be expensive and not readily available everywhere.

Here's something to pay close attention to: Chocolate naturally contains cocoa butter, which is the fat the naturally occurs in Chocolate beans. This gives chocolate it's rich flavor and maintains it's quality. Cheap versions of chocolate remove the cocoa butter and replace it with low quality, many times hydrogenated oil. So here's something to pay attention to, in Argentina Chocolate that is low quality is called "baño reposteria" which is basically low quality cocoa, a ton of sugar and oil to solidify it. So next time you buy chocolate read the fine print and make sure it says chocolate and not "baño repostería" which roughly translates to "confectioner's glaze" and is not good quality eating chocolate.

As a Belgian I am seriously addicted to chocolate, and although everyone who ever visits me from Belgium has to bring a couple of kg of truffles that can't be bought here (which I then cherish like a treasure and never share with anyone :D), I find the local "plain" chocolate really good. For example Elite (in Callao) has very good one, but there are many others.
Many of the chocolatiers here have Suisse roots and although their "pralines" aren't as good as the Belgian ones, their plain chocolate is.
I would never buy the factory made ones they sell in the supermarkets, als they are usually of inferior quality.

Hello
I love chocolate and I was told that Fenix has the best chocolate, they also import and manufacture, I buy by kg cacao or cocoa to prepare for my kids, Fenix has a webpage and is located on Soliz not far from the British Hospital, they have very good chocolate. Also Bonafide and of course Havanna have good chocolate as well but Fenix is not so expensive I bought 2 months ago 1 kg of bitter cocoa for 60 pesos that can be used in mousses and in many desserts. And when my mother goes to Uruguay she buys good swiss or belgian chocolate in Buquebus yes nothing compares!

Davidglen77 said:
During the almost 5 years that I've lived in Buenos Aires, I have heard many complaints from foreigners about the chocolate here. There is very good chocolate available in Argentina, but it tends to be expensive and not readily available everywhere.
The only chocolate amargo I have been able to find is Chocolate Aguila's "Extrafino 60% cacao", which is no way the same as e.g. Lindt & Sprüngli's or Belgian choco. It tastes as if it contain paraffin wax, although it actually contains lecina de soja. I can eat it but no more than 100g a week.

I have tried at the local choco factory, Cabañas, but they don't produce choco amargo, simply because it is too expensive to be sold in quantities.

If you can recommend a brand or two, which can be had in the provinces, you may kiss your big toe from me :D

One locally made chocolate which is 70% cacao is Felfort Chocolate Clásico. It's a mass produced item, but I find it tastes pretty good. It also contains soy lecithin, which is an emulsifier. It keeps the cocoa butter from separating from the cocoa. In mass produced chocolate it's necessary to add more for shelf life than anything else. Of course if you go to a chocolate shop where the chocolate is freshly made it doesn't usually contain preservatives because it's not being shipped or stored anywhere and is made is small batches and replaced as it is sold.

John.St said:
The only chocolate amargo I have been able to find is Chocolate Aguila's "Extrafino 60% cacao", which is no way the same as e.g. Lindt & Sprüngli's or Belgian choco. It tastes as if it contain paraffin wax, although it actually contains lecina de soja. I can eat it but no more than 100g a week.

I have tried at the local choco factory, Cabañas, but they don't produce choco amargo, simply because it is too expensive to be sold in quantities.

If you can recommend a brand or two, which can be had in the provinces, you may kiss your big toe from me :D

Isn't there some small local chocolatier where you live? They should have it!

We use Aguila to make chocolate cake. WOuldnt want to spoil my best chocolate on cooking :D

I'm pretty fond of Cadbury's myself. Available nearly anywhere too!

katti said:
Isn't there some small local chocolatier where you live? They should have it!
Yes there is a small local chocolatier in town - it took me 14 minutes to see the entire bussiness - and no, they don't make chocolate amargo :mad:

katti said:
We use Aguila to make chocolate cake. WOuldnt want to spoil my best chocolate on cooking :D
There ought to be a law against you :D - come to think about it, there probably is, but no one in Argentina to enforce it :cool:

Davidglen77 said:
One locally made chocolate which is 70% cacao is Felfort Chocolate Clásico. It's a mass produced item, but I find it tastes pretty good.
Isn't lecitina also used to reduce breakage?

I have made a note of the Felfort - did you remember to kiss your big toe from me? :D

Fenix make chocolate and import it, the brand Fenix is sold in some special places like Health Stores but not in all of them and they do have chocolate amargo and the good one, they have a webpage I think it is possible to find it also in the provinces at some Dieteticas or health stores
Reina

Back