Christmas 2012

aellis

Registered
Hello! I am new to Buenos Aires and already thinking of how to spend my first christmas. It seems as though the friends I have made here are leaving the city for the holidays...I've read lots of suggestions about going to a tango show on Christmas Eve but I'm looking for something a little less expensive and touristy. Any suggestions ???

a great way is to find whoever is around a round up a gang for dinner. the 24th is a big club night too you can go afterwards. i'll be around for xmas if you would like to join!

If you like Christmas and are from the US, I think you'll find Christmas in BA to be quite depressing. Very few people put up lights, no Christmas Trees, no caroling, no nada. After spending one Christmas in BA as well as New Years I promised myself that I'd never do it again, but that's just me.

If you do decide to stay, be prepared to hear fireworks/hydrogen bombs that will scare the bejeezus out of you and rattle your walls. That's how they do down there in BA. And you're right, everyone pretty much takes off for the holidays so you'll find BA to be rather empty...whatever you decide to do, have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your holidays!

In case anyone is interested tomorrow from 11 to 7pm is the annual Christmas fair at the British ambassadors residence in recoleta. Carols, Santa, gifts etc all on show. It should help to get you in the spirit. $15 peso entrance charge plus you need to bring id.

Yep xmas and new years eve here and family events. A lot of people are outside of Capital Federal on holidays as well or with their families if theyre not from here. Some restaurants / clubs do have events but they are pricey anyway. Why dont you see if you can round up a group of people on here?

Best choice is a cruise from 22nd. till 2013...!! otherwise gather find some friends and uncork the Dom Perignon at home. After 2 AM head to the Clubs. Spending Xmas with a family can be depressing,,,, :D

Many Restos don't open since personnel spend Xmas at home, some clubs open after 2AM. Workers can not reach their workplace since from 10 PM to 4 AM on the 25th. No taxi or buses . Some Cab drivers spend Xmas at home, then later after all the booze can't drive....!!

I had to stay overnight one time in Chacarita :mad: , remis lines don't answer, off the hook.

Hola!

For Christmas some people on the Buenos Aires group of Couch Surfing are organizing a dinner for all the travellers and locals that want to spend this time of the year with people and not pay crazy touristy fees as you said.

Also, we are organizing a Christmas Potluck Picnic at Parque Las Heras, on December, 15th at 5:00 p.m. You can bring some typical X-mas food to share and also if you can/want, a Santa Claus hat. Let me know if you want to join it and I send you the link and if you already have a CS profile just join it. Saludos! :)

Thanks for all of the info guys! I think it is a good idea to round some people up ...send me a personal message if you are interested!

Ahhh and dont forget to have your transport organised for getting home new years eve. Taxi drivers set their fares and they go up by like 6-10 x normal price (seriously).

Guys, some people wrote me saying that they wanted to join the picnic on the 15th. I'm posting the information here so that anyone who wants to go has the address. Hope to see you all!

[font=Helvetica Neue']We are getting together to celebrate Christmas on Saturday 15th, December at 5:00 p.m. We are having a Potluck Picnic at Las Heras Park, Las Heras Av. and Bulnes. (In front of the Farmacia Bulnes with a brown sign). The idea of this potluck picnic is to have an afternoon snack and to share what we bring, homemade or store-brought. You can also bring your guitar or cards to play.[/font]
[font=Helvetica Neue']As we'll be celebrating Christmas if you want you can bring something thematic like Fruitcake, sidre, gingerbread cookies, etc. [/font][font=Helvetica Neue']And don't forget to bring, if possible, a Santa Claus hat. [/font] :)

http://www.couchsurf...turday-15th-dec

Back