Citizenship Question

I am asking because I took a look on a website (I can't mention it here as perhaps it's not allowed on this forum to promote for other websites) that "they are not currently able to help anyone from the Middle East and india" and that "it's hard to impossible to stay in Argentina for those coming from that countries". I am personally from Morocco (Arabic country located in the north-west of Africa). Geographically, it is not a middle east country but I am honestly not aware whether or not it is included. I actually sent an e-mail to the person in charge of that website and she answered me: "she asked her Argentina lawyer and his answer was that he doesn't know for sure why they are told not to help people from those countries in particular".
Fortunately, I explored this forum (baexpats) nowadays and after having read a few threads, I am certain that the clear answer I am looking for will be found here.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hello guys, I hope you are all fine :)

I am being curious if the original nationality background of the person could negatively impact the chance of acquiring the Argentine citizenship (although his intenion is to stay in Argentina with his Argentine wife). In this case, would it be better to get a lawyer's help all along the process and if so, how much does approximately cost a good lawyer services for this matter?

Thank you widely in advance!!

If you are married to an Argentine you are now eligible to apply at migraciones for permanent residency and receive your DNI. It shouldn't matter what country you are from. Your wife should be able to help you comply with everything migraciones requires (provided the criminal background report from your home country is "clean").

At any time you wish you can go to the federal court that has jurisdiction where you live and ask for the requirements to obtain your citizenship, including how long you have to have been "residing" in Argentina. If they insist that you have the DNI first you can simply wait until you have it and then apply for citizenship.

The cost of applying for citizenship without the DNI and with the help of a lawyer would likely exceed five thousand dollars while the cost of getting your DNI without a lawyer could be less than five hundred (migraciones fees and the cost of acquiring and translating the required documents).

Last edited:
I am asking because I took a look on a website (I can't mention it here as perhaps it's not allowed on this forum to promote for other websites) that "they are not currently able to help anyone from the Middle East and india" and that "it's hard to impossible to stay in Argentina for those coming from that countries". I am personally from Morocco (Arabic country located in the north-west of Africa). Geographically, it is not a middle east country but I am honestly not aware whether or not it is included. I actually sent an e-mail to the person in charge of that website and she answered me: "she asked her Argentina lawyer and his answer was that he doesn't know for sure why they are told not to help people from those countries in particular".
!

If you are married to an Argentine it shouldn't matter what country you are from and you won't need a lawyer to get your DNI and then your citizenship (in that order if the court that has jurisdiction where you live insists that you first have the DNI).

If you are married to an Argentine it shouldn't matter what country you are from and you won't need a lawyer to get your DNI and then your citizenship (in that order if the court that has jurisdiction where you live insists that you first have the DNI).

Thank you very much Mr Steve for your comprehensive and helpful replies! I really appreciate! :)
Well, my case is a little different and special. My wife and I got married in Morocco. Few weeks after she went back to Argentina(she had to go back as her mom fell terribly sick and has to stay with her since then/ long story anyway), she took to the ''Dirección Nationale de Migración'' all the required documents: Marriage certificate (apostilled, then translated and legalized by a registred Argentine translator ), photocopies of all the pages of my and her passports, her residence certificate, a copy of her ID, her salary receipts, a note to the ''Director National de Migraciones'' stating her job activity and signed by her boss, a note clarifying when/how we met. The girl in the direction signed all the copies, scaned them and then gave them back to my wife and asked her to pay 2000 pesos through a Bank and bring the payment receipt. Then, they interviewed her in the same day asking her some questions related to our relationship. That was all regarding her side. About six months after the process, the embassy called me here in my country in order to go to the embassy accompanied with some papers including (my police background report and marriage certificate/ both apostilled and translated into Spanish). I have passed an interview before the Consul and then got granted the permanent residence visa after having paid about 240$ USD in cash through a Bank in the surrounding of the embassy (Visa fees). In few months, I will join my wife and live with her and of course help her taking care of her mom.

Once again, thank you Mr Steve! Honestly, when I posted my question, I expected that some good members here including you (in particular) will reply me because although I discovered this forum only few days ago, after having read some threads, I noticed your name (with other members) clearly repeated throughout threads with a very detailed, informative and interesting informations. I appreciate all your efforts!

Last edited:
Back