Citizenship question

Rayzzie

Registered
Hello, I have been reading about Argentine citizenship and how technically it is one of the easiest to get and I've read that you can fly to Argentina and apply for citizenship and that there are lawyers that specialize in this. I was wondering if this is true and if anyone has done this method. Thank you for any information given.

You need to meet the following requirements
  • Be over 18 years old
  • Have lived in Argentina for at least two years as a temporary resident
  • Have a clean criminal record
  • Be proficient in Spanish
  • Pass a civics exam
That's it. You can apply for citizenship at any federal court in Argentina.

You need to meet the following requirements
  • Be over 18 years old
  • Have lived in Argentina for at least two years as a temporary resident
  • Have a clean criminal record
  • Be proficient in Spanish
  • Pass a civics exam
That's it. You can apply for citizenship at any federal court in Argentina.
Please, do not confuse people.
18 years old. Ok.
To live here 2 years before to apply. Only if you do it yourself. I apply for citizenship with people who arrived yesterday for 15 years.
Temporary residency. NO.
Clean criminal record. NO. Not being in jail for over 3 years in the last 5 years.
Be proficient in Spanish. NO.
Civic exam. NO. It was abolished on 1984.

Please, do not confuse people.
18 years old. Ok.
To live here 2 years before to apply. Only if you do it yourself. I apply for citizenship with people who arrived yesterday for 15 years.
Temporary residency. NO.
Clean criminal record. NO. Not being in jail for over 3 years in the last 5 years.
Be proficient in Spanish. NO.
Civic exam. NO. It was abolished on 1984.
how can you start the naturalization without living here for 2 years ?

how can you start the naturalization without living here for 2 years ?
You need a lawyer who is familiar with the process to present your case....

Ideally, a lawyer with many years (15 for example) experience in these type of cases and a "track record" of success.

You must also be prepared to spend thousands of dollars for the legal servives, without any guarantee of success.

You need a lawyer who is familiar with the process to present your case....

Ideally, a lawyer with many years (15 for example) experience in these type of cases and a "track record" of success.

You must also be prepared to spend thousands of dollars for the legal servives, without any guarantee of success.
Thank you for the response. And if I have a DNI for a year and monotributo can I start it by myself ? Unfortunately can't aford a lawyer especially for a few thousands dollars.

Thank you for the response.

You are most welcome.

And if I have a DNI for a year and monotributo can I start it by myself ? Unfortunately can't aford a lawyer especially for a few thousands dollars.

If my information is correct, the two year "residency" requirement for citizenship started the day that you first set foot on Argentne soil, but you probably won't be able to apply for citizenship without a lawyer before you satisfy the two year residency (aka: "physical presence") requirement for citizenship

It will be essential that you have a DNI when you apply, but you don't have to have had "temporary residency" granted by migraciones and a DNI for two full years first.

Last edited:
You are most welcome.

If my information is correct, the two year "residency" requirement for citizenship started the day that you first set foot on Argentne soil, but you probably won't be able to apply for citizenship without a lawyer before you satisfy the two year residency (aka: "physical presence") requirement for citizenship

It will be essential that you have a DNI when you apply, but you don't have to have had "temporary residency" granted by migraciones and a DNI for two full years first.
Steven, you are always well informed regarding immigration issues.

On October 1st, I will have been here for two years continuously. Considering only the time-in-country component, does two continuous years here qualify me to apply for a permanent residency visa? I have two monthly federal sources of income and no criminal record.

I recently deposited the required 1,172,000 pesos into a local bank account; which should be the last step prior to receiving a one-year pensioners' visa and DNI.

My thinking is that being so close to achieving two continuous years of residency here, I might as well just apply for permanent residency to avoid further trámite. TIA

Hopefully, the two years of continuous presence and a DNI will be enough for the court to at least consider your application for citizenship (without being represented by a lawyer) but, unless the current "conditions" change, you will not be able to ask migraciones for what is known as the "cambio de categoria" to permanent residency until the third renewal of your temporary residency.

PS: Marriage with or being the parent of a child born in Argentina would greatly speed up the process to permanent residency and/or citizenship.

Last edited:
Back