Citizenship

don't be penny wise/pound foolish. Pay the lawyer what he wants and rest your mind in peace for a perfect process with yr application.
Speaking from PAST EXPERIENCE on this topic. A good immigration lawyer is worth her / his strong fee!!!!! The best, most capable in any field do not come cheap, but the results come quicker and easier due to the expertise factor. You get what you pay for in the service arena. I urge you to follow Ceviche's advice ... it is valid.

Sorry? Where did I say I didn't want to pay a lawyer? I am asking for how to get a lawyer, the cost and if I will need to be present in the country once citizenship is granted.. say for a ceremony or something of that nature?
THE BEST WAY TO GET A GOOD ATTORNEY (Or a plumber, accountant etc ...) is to check with your circle of friends and business contacts. Chances are, someone can help you, or someone they know may be able to help. Getting help from people you are familiar with takes the trust factor out of the equation and you have ahead start already. I can't tell you how many qualified professional I have found using this method. AND - none of them disappointed me. (I must be lucky because it's bound to happen at some point???)

Neither SVBa97 nor i are opposed to pay a lawyer. I was only a bit surprised when the question itself was labelled as foolish. Honestly i have got no idea whether a lawyer for that costs 300 usd or 10000 usd. And to some people it makes a difference

Speaking from PAST EXPERIENCE on this topic. A good immigration lawyer is worth her / his strong fee!!!!! The best, most capable in any field do not come cheap, but the results come quicker and easier due to the expertise factor. You get what you pay for in the service arena. I urge you to follow Ceviche's advice ... it is valid.

I worked with Bajo_cero when no one knew about him. I believe, I was probably his 1st client ever.. He still hates me as I paid him v less in those days in 2010 ( also I was v v poor in those days) . but the important thing is that I was mesmerized with his knowledge of law, his knowledge of procedures, how he prevented me from committing certain mistakes which would have ended my chances, how he handled the matter - LIKE A BOSS - the reason I always praise him as I believe no money paid was worth the effort and knowledge, he possessed in 2010 and possesses even more - today, 10 years later. It takes experience in life, to sort out a good professional from an ordinary one and luckily for me, I had known LOTS of lawyers in my lifetime prior I had met Bajo, to believe in him from the first minute.

Enough said!

Last edited:
I worked with Bajo_cero when no one knew about him. I believe, I was probably his 1st client ever.. He still hates me as I paid him v less in those days in 2010. but the important thing is that I was mesmerized with his knowledge of law, his knowledge of procedures, how he prevented me from committing certain mistakes which would have ended my chances, how he handled the matter - LIKE A BOSS - the reason I always praise him as I believe no money paid was worth the effort and knowledge has possessed in 2010 and possesses today 10 years later. It takes experience in life to sort out a good professional from an ordinary one and luckily for me, I had known millions of lawyers in my lifetime prior I had met Bajo to believe in him from the first minute.

Enough said!
Thats all well and good. i am happy it worked out for you. Still, i have no idea what the going rate is for such a process.
Or your recommendation is then simply contract him (or another lawyer) and pay whatever he says?

You may ask the lawyer for an estimate of fees, a "presupuesto". Here, even dentists give you one. Preferably, get it in writing.

US lawyers always provide a written fee estimate. I found it very useful when a crooked lawyer tried to double the quoted fee. Told her I would talk to the bank who recommended her, and she quickly backed down.

Thats all well and good. i am happy it worked out for you. Still, i have no idea what the going rate is for such a process.
Or your recommendation is then simply contract him (or another lawyer) and pay whatever he says?
Alpinista, You may not know this, but it is still true none the less:

Most people pay a different price for the same exact automobile, optioned the same way. Car dealers takes sales on the same exact item at all different levels. Why is this? Simply because each customer has different negotiating ability and product knowledge. A lamb get slaughtered sun such a transaction while a tiger gets fair, or even generous treatment. The lamb knows nothing and pays dearly while the tiger exploits the system. Cash back, dealer incentives, financing, the correct time of the month, quarter or year to buy, understanding leasing vs out right purchase, money factors ... I could go on and on (I am not even sure how many of you out there would even grasp all this??? Some I guess???) Here is my point ... If you have experience and a comfort level negotiating you may very well drive a better bargain with an attorney of any vocation. Their price per hour or job is very fluid. They are not working from a hard and fast rate card. I can guarantee that. Having stated the previous. You need to get out there and interview attorneys of interest to you and start discussing compensation / cost for service. Only then, will you have a feel for what the market will support. Generally speaking a good attorney will be strong on their compensation because their time is mostly or always booked / bookable. And the opposite is also true ... free time or an abundance of it ... well ... supply and demand ... the rate can get low, but you get what you pay for ... the attorney has an awful lot of free time for a reason.

You may ask the lawyer for an estimate of fees, a "presupuesto". Here, even dentists give you one. Preferably, get it in writing.

US lawyers always provide a written fee estimate. I found it very useful when a crooked lawyer tried to double the quoted fee. Told her I would talk to the bank who recommended her, and she quickly backed down.
Greed - Bad stuff. PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED!

Greed - Bad stuff. PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED!
[/QUOT
I reported her to my bank, which promptly removed her name from their referral list. Apparently, my complaint wasn't the first one, just happened to be the straw that broke that particular camel's back.

Back