Citizenship

I got married to an Argentine citizen in December and I'm now beginning the residency and citizenship applications.

I've been a tourist overstayer since March 2020, in terms of the citizenship process is there any "advantage" to waiting until I have permanent residency or should I just go ahead with the citizenship application right away?

I guess my concern is turning up and getting the "you need to be a resident for two years" response even though I can get citizenship immediately as a spouse of an Argentine.
I think they will ask you to present DNI.
DNI will have your official date of the entrance to the country so they want need to break head on how to count how long are you here.

I think they will ask you to present DNI.
DNI will have your official date of the entrance to the country so they want need to break head on how to count how long are you here.

I got married to an Argentine citizen in December and I'm now beginning the residency and citizenship applications.

I've been a tourist overstayer since March 2020, in terms of the citizenship process is there any "advantage" to waiting until I have permanent residency or should I just go ahead with the citizenship application right away?

I guess my concern is turning up and getting the "you need to be a resident for two years" response even though I can get citizenship immediately as a spouse of an Argentine.
In this case there is no DNI to present and it won't matter how long BeraRane has been in Argentina as the citizenship will be based on marriage to an Argentine and the two year residency requirment will not apply.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Valid Law 346 by decreto 138/2021: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/normativa/nacional/ley-346-48854/actualizacion

Decree 3212/84 (this is tricky to read and understand because it was enacted for the local far west Malvinas Inhabitants or kelpers). (Now it can be considered implicitly abolished since Tierra del Fuego & Malvinas was provincialized).
This law says the 2 years of residency is waived for people who are married to Argentine citizens but I don't see anywhere where it says it's also waived for parents of Argentino nativo as it has been said several times here.

Welp, i'm still waiting on appointment to get sworn in. I should expedite my passport tho. i might need to travel to the USA for a bit.

How much time is the new DNI issuance/mail taking? I need that to get the passport moving.
Depends. When I applied in CABA in November last year at Paseo Colon Renaper they told me it would take about 4 weeks. I got it in 11 days. That being said, some tramites do get get stuck in verification so it can take longer. If you need to leave do it on your US passport it's not the end of the world. No one cares. Alternatively just schedule your swearing in for a date after you will be back.

P.S. Maybe I got lucky but as soon as my sentencia came out on Monday I picked up the phone and called the Juzgado and asked when I can do the swear in, they said I can go that same Wednesday at 9:30 and just tell the guard downstairs to phone them up and they would let me subir. Right after the "ceremony" I went straight to Renaper with the carta de ciud. for the DNI.

Last edited:
Back