Citizenship

I started citizenship process in October/November. Today I'm at the "publish in the newspaper" step. The Jueza says we should be wrapped up by March or so for the carta de cuidania

Pretty quick so far. This is in Entre Rios.
Good luck! How many of the oficios do you have sent out by the court? And how many have been responded?

I started citizenship process in October/November. Today I'm at the "publish in the newspaper" step. The Jueza says we should be wrapped up by March or so for the carta de cuidania

Pretty quick so far. This is in Entre Rios.

Are you applying with or without a lawyer? Did you apply right at 2 years or have you been here longer? I'd be interested to know if it actually goes through in only 6 months as it seems to be on track for.

It means there is potentially something wrong with your case since it was sent to the Fiscal and under "RECARATULAR". I would leave this to Bajo to advise as he is the legal guru here. Did you have 2 years of residence at the time of the application? Or an Argentine child?

They had my last name listed also as a secondary name and that's now fixed, so I was thinking it might be that.

I did technically have 2 years as I lived here before for 13 or 14 months, and November was 11 months since returning to Argentina. I'm married to an Argentine citizen, but the court didn't ask me for a copy of my marriage certificate so I guess we'll find out.

They had my last name listed also as a secondary name and that's now fixed, so I was thinking it might be that.

I did technically have 2 years as I lived here before for 13 or 14 months, and November was 11 months since returning to Argentina. I'm married to an Argentine citizen, but the court didn't ask me for a copy of my marriage certificate so I guess we'll find out.

I see -- yes it's probably that -- the name. However, the law does call for 2 years of continuous residence or having an Argentine child. Your marriage to an Argentine is not important as long as you don't claim spousal support. The fact you potentially don't meet the requirements means worse case the judge rejects your case or they sit on it for a year or so till you get closer to 2 years. Alternatively, you can claim that you retained residence in Argentina because you left with the intent to return. Not sure if you were resident at the time or a tourist. In any case, it's unlikely the Judge would grant you the carta de ciudadania for at least another 12-13 months until you meet the 2 years continuously...but gain it's anybody's guess what the judge or the fiscal would say...you might want to consult with a lawyer if your case gets stuck or rejected.

P.S. Under "En Despacho" click on the "eye" and there should be a document that explains further what's going on...It does seem to me -- may be wrong -- that the court sent your case to the Fiscal for opinion.

I see -- yes it's probably that -- the name. However, the law does call for 2 years of continuous residence or having an Argentine child. Your marriage to an Argentine is not important as long as you don't claim spousal support. The fact you potentially don't meet the requirements means worse case the judge rejects your case or they sit on it for a year or so till you get closer to 2 years. Alternatively, you can claim that you retained residence in Argentina because you left with the intent to return. Not sure if you were resident at the time or a tourist. In any case, it's unlikely the Judge would grant you the carta de ciudadania for at least another 12-13 months until you meet the 2 years continuously...but gain it's anybody's guess what the judge or the fiscal would say...you might want to consult with a lawyer if your case gets stuck or rejected.

P.S. Under "En Despacho" click on the "eye" and there should be a document that explains further what's going on...It does seem to me -- may be wrong -- that the court sent your case to the Fiscal for opinion.

Good catch!

To me as a layman, it looks like it was likely the name, and they're asking for my marriage certificate (which I brought with me but they didn't take the copy of for whatever reason when I filed for the citizenship letter):

Buenos Aires, de noviembre de 2021.- CAR Por presentado, por partes y por constituido el domicilio. Previo a lo solicitado, advirtiendo en este acto que la caratula de las presentes actuaciones se encuentra mal consignada, procédase a su correcta recaratulación.

Cumplido, en atención a lo dispuesto por el art. 3° inc. b) del Dec. 3213/84 y de la documentación que luce a fs. 2, hágase saber al interesado que deberá acreditar que vinculo posee con [my husband's name], a fin de cumplir con lo previsto por el art. 3° inc. f) del Dec. 3213/84.

I'm going to email it to them now.

Are you applying with or without a lawyer? Did you apply right at 2 years or have you been here longer? I'd be interested to know if it actually goes through in only 6 months as it seems to be on track for.
My wife is a lawyer. My permanent residence says i entered the country in 2018 so i have 2+ years which makes this a bit more clear cut. I also have Argentine kids so that's another. And my wife also doesn't let anyone at the courthouse push her around because she's a lawyer.

My wife is a lawyer. My permanent residence says i entered the country in 2018 so i have 2+ years which makes this a bit more clear cut. I also have Argentine kids so that's another. And my wife also doesn't let anyone at the courthouse push her around because she's a lawyer.

So basically you did the process correctly and are using a lawyer. I'll be interested in seeing how fast it goes through.

So basically you did the process correctly and are using a lawyer. I'll be interested in seeing how fast it goes through.
Yea, I mean... "correctly". Migraciones and everything just seems easier in Entre Rios than the zoo that is Buenos Aires.

Brian will be our new record holder, taking the crown from dsp27 :cool:

I'm in the zoo, of course.

Back