Citizenship

Done and done with the system. Now i wait an infinite time for my new DNI number/card so i can file for the passport. Alas i might be abroad before i can obtain the passport.

Done and done with the system. Now i wait an infinite time for my new DNI number/card so i can file for the passport. Alas i might be abroad before i can obtain the passport.
felicidades Brain, ivery nice to hear your story

Hello all. Thank you for all the information you have provided, I am very much new on this platform and have followed the message thread and have seen beneficial information. I kindly want to know if someone comes to Argentina as a student on a study permit, will that also suffice for the 2years residency required to obtain citizenship? secondly, with a study permit, can one get a CUIL and DNI to open bank accounts, rent a car, etc while studying in Argentina. From my understanding, the DNI is needed for many things in Argentina. I have seen a lot of responses from steveinbsas,Bajo_cero2, and many more regarding the Rentista visa. The Rentista visa was my initial option for a pathway to citizenship but after factoring in a lot of things like staying on the visa without working, as the rentista visa does not permit its holders to work in Argentina, I believe getting a student visa and having to study maybe for a master's or Ph.D. will be a wiser idea.
I will appreciate it if anyone can give me a guide as to what pathway will be the most advisable for a foreign national to get Argentina citizenship by naturalization for someone from Africa. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Update to this post here: https://baexpats.org/threads/documents-necessary-for-citizenship-from-one-parent.44041/#post-421634

The Miami consulate replied to my inquiries of citizenship like this,

> si tu madre nacio en Florida no podemos hacer la ciudadanía aca en Miami, solo puede hacerse en Argentina, cuando los padres no son nativos argentinos.

So I need a lawyer in Argentina to apply. I have emailed various lawfirms from google and have surprisingly gotten 3 different opinions.

1. Need to live there 2 years then apply. No exceptions
2. Can fly in on a tourist visa, apply to judge and reside and wait for updates. 6-8 months. 1000usd paid when I get citizenship. Consider getting a residence permit before arriving(could take 6 months to get it)
3. Can fly in on tourist visa, apply for residence permit(get it in 1 month), then apply to judge. Can take 8 months. 2000usd pay first.

I'm looking for more clarity on this situation since the options are so different. It'd be really unfortunate if I need more documents from other countries while I'm already in Argentina and have to fly to other countries.

I have
1. birth certificates of grandpa, both parents, me
2. certificate of Argentine citizenship of naturalized parent and their DNI

Update to this post here: https://baexpats.org/threads/documents-necessary-for-citizenship-from-one-parent.44041/#post-421634

The Miami consulate replied to my inquiries of citizenship like this,

> si tu madre nacio en Florida no podemos hacer la ciudadanía aca en Miami, solo puede hacerse en Argentina, cuando los padres no son nativos argentinos.

So I need a lawyer in Argentina to apply. I have emailed various lawfirms from google and have surprisingly gotten 3 different opinions.

1. Need to live there 2 years then apply. No exceptions
2. Can fly in on a tourist visa, apply to judge and reside and wait for updates. 6-8 months. 1000usd paid when I get citizenship. Consider getting a residence permit before arriving(could take 6 months to get it)
3. Can fly in on tourist visa, apply for residence permit(get it in 1 month), then apply to judge. Can take 8 months. 2000usd pay first.

I'm looking for more clarity on this situation since the options are so different. It'd be really unfortunate if I need more documents from other countries while I'm already in Argentina and have to fly to other countries.

I have
1. birth certificates of grandpa, both parents, me
2. certificate of Argentine citizenship of naturalized parent and their DNI
Pretty sure anyone can do #1. That's just argentine law. Anyone who can thrive/survive in argentina for 2 years gets a passport.

If i was you and i was really wanting to do this, i'd fly in on tourist visa, apply to get it done. You won't have to pay the overstay fine if you're an argentine citizen. Lots of people overstay and the fine isn't killer.

You'll probably need an attorney to get this right unless you're really into learning about argentine citizenship law and bureaucracy.

@dsp27 do you know how long it took to get your new DNI card in the mail? i'm checking my tracking and its been in verification for a while

Hello all. Thank you for all the information you have provided, I am very much new on this platform and have followed the message thread and have seen beneficial information. I kindly want to know if someone comes to Argentina as a student on a study permit, will that also suffice for the 2years residency required to obtain citizenship? secondly, with a study permit, can one get a CUIL and DNI to open bank accounts, rent a car, etc while studying in Argentina. From my understanding, the DNI is needed for many things in Argentina. I have seen a lot of responses from steveinbsas,Bajo_cero2, and many more regarding the Rentista visa. The Rentista visa was my initial option for a pathway to citizenship but after factoring in a lot of things like staying on the visa without working, as the rentista visa does not permit its holders to work in Argentina, I believe getting a student visa and having to study maybe for a master's or Ph.D. will be a wiser idea.
I will appreciate it if anyone can give me a guide as to what pathway will be the most advisable for a foreign national to get Argentina citizenship by naturalization for someone from Africa. Thank you very mu
You can apply for citizenship as soon as you arrive in Argentina. I recommend not applying for legal residency because it is the best way to obtain a deportation order. Only in the event that you are going to obtain legal residence should you apply. If you have doubts, don't do it. The advantage of having legal residence is that you can apply for citizenship without a lawyer and save money. Otherwise you should hire a lawyer. There are not many of us who work with citizenship and we work very differently.

@dsp27 do you know how long it took to get your new DNI card in the mail? i'm checking my tracking and its been in verification for a while
3-4 days. But it’s coin toss some can be stuck in versification for some time. Generally it should not take longer than 3 weeks to receive it. Mine took 11 days from applying. I would say this is on the faster end and I just got lucky. I am also in CABA and possibly things move faster here.

For your information, and to compare the jurisdictions, I will be sharing my citizenship journey with you guys as others have done before and for future use.

After sending several emails to the Federal Court in CABA asking for an appointment without replying after several weeks; I decided to apply in Córdoba Capital.

On June 24, 2022, I went to the Court in Córdoba and I was provided a list of documents to bring to start the process: I tried to apply with passport that day but was told a DNI is a must to start:

Bajo_cero2, a knowledgeable and experience lawyer shared that one can apply with passport but need a lawyer to do so.

The documents I had to bring:

1- Legalized/apostiled birth certificate
2- DNI
3- Antecedentes penales de Reincidencia
4- Antecedentes penales de la Jefetura de policía de Córdoba
4- Justificación de medio de vida
5- Certificado de migración
6- Certificado de domicilio
7- Nombre de 2 testigos Argentinos

On July 26, 2022, I went back to the Court with all the requested documents, I found another Secretary, he just asked for our DNI ( my wife and I are both applying for Citizenship after 1 month of getting our Residencia permanente/DNI). My wife stayed here in Argentina for 3 months in 2018, she gave birth to our son here. We came back in June 2022. In total, we only have 4 months living in Argentina). The guy put our names in a computerized sorteo, we got the same Juzgado and fiscal.

On the same day, I sent an email to the secretaria del Juzgado for an appointment to drop off the documents. They emailed me back early the next day. The appointment was today, August 4, 2022 at 8:30.

This morning, I went there, the guys at the secretaria del Juzgado were very friendly and super nice. They took my DNI and saw my fecha de ingreso del país was just over 1 month ago, but when he saw the documents of my son, he said it doesn't matter as my son is Argentino. This is what Bajo_cero2, Dps27, Steeve etc have always told me here (thank you guys).

I didn't have the certificate de migración today, I just check online and the system says: En LETRA, ESCRITO CARGAGA. They are requesting Certificado de radiación definitiva. I check my wife file, it says: INICIO DE DEMANDA/EN DESPACHO.

I will keep providing updates until, hopefully, we get the Carta de Cuidania.

We officially start the process today, August 4, 2022.

there's quite a bit of paper pushing that goes on that will take some time for the case to file. For me with an almost ideal (who had argentine wife, argentine kids, permanent residency for 2+ years) it was 8 months of various amounts of waiting for the case to land on the fiscal for final say.

Did they give you an estimate on how long it would take? Mine was pretty clear it would take 6+ months from the very beginning.

Back