City Hall bans use of inclusive language in BA schools

This incoherent outburst almost certainly owes more to electioneering than any actual concern about the Spanish language. This quote is particularly funny: 'he declared that "teachers have to respect the rules of the Spanish language because children have to master the language as it is."', coming, as it does, from a city government that has been all about disrespecting the rules of the Spanish language in pushing at every opportunity its porteño / rioplatense regional dialect.

It only illustrates the folly of leaving educational policy to local government rather than specifying a national curriculum for schools.

This incoherent outburst almost certainly owes more to electioneering than any actual concern about the Spanish language. This quote is particularly funny: 'he declared that "teachers have to respect the rules of the Spanish language because children have to master the language as it is."', coming, as it does, from a city government that has been all about disrespecting the rules of the Spanish language in pushing at every opportunity its porteño / rioplatense regional dialect.

It only illustrates the folly of leaving educational policy to local government rather than specifying a national curriculum for schools.

I agree with what you wrote and very much dislike this new ruling too (I think language is a living entity and evolves with use first - just like what we now call Spanish evolved from the way a certain group of people spoke Vulgar Latin, and English evolved from basically a pidgin of Saxon and Old Norman).

However, a common misconception is that the porteño/Rioplatense dialect is not an official, regulated dialect. It -including it’s odd verb forms- is recognized by the Real Academia Española and it has its own associated academy (the Academia Argentina de Letras). When the porteño government (stupidly) talks about “correct Spanish,” they are referring to “correct” Rioplatense Spanish.

Argentine liberals love talking about "free speech" until a teacher puts an e or @ at the end of a sentence then magically the RAE is back to being relevant as if languages stopped evolving in the 1800s, typical hypocrites. Should we get teachers to put soap in kids' mouths if they call it Wee Fee (WiFi) or Tah Més (Thames) now too, since we want kids to "master the language as it is"?

But I digress; do I use inclusive language? No, but I do like that ustedes exists instead of you guys, and I will use someone's preferred pronouns in English or Spanish because it costs nothing to not be an asshole.

Anyways, my entire feelings can be summed up accordingly: I don't care what you call me, as long as it's not late for dinner. ;)

Didn't Larreta offer courses for teachers just last year on how to teach inclusive language?

Out of all of the candidates in Juntos por el Cargo Larreta is the one that bugs me the most.

A bicycle lane for Palermo here, a kids climbing frame for Belgrano there, and he's portraying himself as Mr European Green Party.

A few points increase for Milei and Bullrich in the polls however and his mask slips and his true character is revealed.

Don't you just hate those rabid, knee jerk reaction against Larreta and the city.

Personally, I don't like the whole newspeak thing with X everywhere. But I'm a language teacher, and I grew up in San Diego, where the bordertalk is incredibly mixed. Both these things help me to understand that young people will speak as they please, and my opinion doesn't matter a donkeyfart.

What's going on with Larreta is that this is for consumption. He's pandering to his hardcore right base, because he's scared spitless that Milei will take away that sector of the JxC (does that X count?) vote.

Does it seem to anyone else that Cristina and Maximo and La Campora are being suspiciously quiet of late? There is a Napoleonic maxim, "never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake". Just a thought.

Back