clamping down on perma-tourists

citygirl said:
If the law states that you just have to leave every 90 days is it not in fact legal to do so indefinitely? I have never been able to find anything stating otherwise. Granted violates the spirit of the law, but not so sure it violates the letter.

I don't think the law states that foreigners (tourists) are required to leave every 90 days. If that were the case they wouldn't grant the 90 day extension at migraciones at all. I believe the issue here is the enforcement of existing law and whether or not it is legal to reside in Argentine for more than a total of six months in any given twelve month period without having at least a temporary resident visa (as opposed to a visa transitoria).

Hockey_Nut said:
I would laugh at the face of the agent if they ever refuge entry

Interesting malapropism...

How long would you continue to laugh after you realized they were serious and you weren't getting back in?

It will never happen offcourse, but if it did I would take my cash somewhere where it´s welcomed

It´s probally just a case of Lopez Mena throwing some cash around to save his business

Is there a certain time period you have to go to Uruguay for? In December will be my first time leaving the country (to stamp my visa) since I arrived last month...

Any suggestions?

You have 90 days and then you either need to renew your visa at migraciones or leave the country (Uruguay being the most popular choice for tourists).

Just wanted to share my experience with the group: I overstayed my visa by a few weeks in May, went to Ezeiza and the fine had been raised from 50 to 300 pesos the day before (my luck!). When I got to immigration exit booth, I was warned that if I overstayed my visa 3 times I MIGHT not be let back in the country...then the immigration agent proceeded to look closer at my passport much closer and realized that this was the 6th time I had overstayed my visa, became frustrated, closed my passport and gave it back to me. The long and short of it is that I was allowed back in without even a glance. The allegorical evidence from other expats is that immigration gives people a much harder time at the Buquebus terminal than at Ezeiza. It appears from my experience that the law is not being enforced, which could change at any time here as Argentina is highly unpredictable. That is what makes living here so exciting!!

You do not have to go to Uruguay for the initial 90 day extension of your tourist visa. You can get it at the office of migraciones on Antardida. Just be sure to go prior to the expiration of the visa or the extension will not be granted. The cost is $300 pesos.

You can go to Uruguay, however if you want. If you do get the extension in BA, however, at the end of the second 90 days you will have to leave the country to stay legal. You may or may not be granted immediate reentry into Argentina, but there probably won't be any problem, especially if your passport is not already full of entry stamps showing that you have apparently been "living" here. Right now it's impossible to know what policy will be enforced then. If you just stay the entire year without any renewals you will have to pay a $300 peso fine when you leave, but I'm not sure how or even if that will affect future visits to Argentina. Others have mentioned a "three strike" rule, but no one that I know of has actually been denied entry even after more than three violations.

There's not going to be any problems with you renewing your visa the first few times. If you only arrived 3 months ago, you can go to immigrations, pay 300 pesos and get a legal extension for another 3 months (if you don't want to go to uruguay, of course). Then after that 3 months you have to take the trip over to uruguay.
The issue only arises for those of us who have been here for a couple of years or more and have passports full of stamps and extensions!

Back