Clarifying the new inmobliaria tax? Please help!!

Reedmoore

Registered
I rented an apartment at the end of December, a two year lease. The contract stated that I would be responsible for the ABL, as usual. I received the bill a week after I moved in in January and paid for the entire year. In march a received a bill for 1500 pesos for an inmobliario municipal tax. I called the landlord and he said I was responsible so I paid it. I was not happy.
Later a friend who is a real estate agent said that if my rental contract was written for just ABL, the landlord was responsible.
I had a meeting with the agent that rented the apartment to me and he agreed that I was only responsible for the ABL. Then when I deducted the money owned me from the next months rent, he called and said he was wrong and I was responsible... he said the ABL and Inmobliario tax was the same things. I then of course paid the balance of my rent. Now another friends who owns several apartments says that the renter is not responsible for this new municipal tax unless stated in the contract. SO DOES ANYONE KNOW THE REAL ANSWER. GETTING A SIMPLE ANSWER FROM THE GOVERNMENT IS IMPOSSIBLE. The difference represents almost 1700 pesos which to me is huge amount. Thanks for any help. sorry this is such a long post.

Reedmoore said:
I rented an apartment at the end of December, a two year lease. The contract stated that I would be responsible for the ABL, as usual. I received the bill a week after I moved in in January and paid for the entire year. In march a received a bill for 1500 pesos for an inmobliario municipal tax. I called the landlord and he said I was responsible so I paid it. I was not happy.
Later a friend who is a real estate agent said that if my rental contract was written for just ABL, the landlord was responsible.
I had a meeting with the agent that rented the apartment to me and he agreed that I was only responsible for the ABL. Then when I deducted the money owned me from the next months rent, he called and said he was wrong and I was responsible... he said the ABL and Inmobliario tax was the same things. I then of course paid the balance of my rent. Now another friends who owns several apartments says that the renter is not responsible for this new municipal tax unless stated in the contract. SO DOES ANYONE KNOW THE REAL ANSWER. GETTING A SIMPLE ANSWER FROM THE GOVERNMENT IS IMPOSSIBLE. The difference represents almost 1700 pesos which to me is huge amount. Thanks for any help. sorry this is such a long post.

Very simple. CHECK YOUR CONTRACT. If it says ABL, then you owe ABL only. This new tax is sent on the same paper as the ABL, but it is a different tax. On my rental contracts it doesn't say ABL, but rather "todos los impuestos municipales y nacionales" so I cover myself for any future tax that might be imposed by either the city or the national government. If your landlord didn't put that in his contract you don't owe the municipal tax because it is a new tax that isn't part of ABL.

Just be aware that you'll need to keep this new tax in mind when/if you renew your contract. I'm sure they'll fix the contract.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Newcomers Forum 11
Back