Cleaning person

I stay in NY and regularly hire cleaning persons and maids.

the going rate varies.

For a person via a agency, it can cost usd 20 $ per hour.

For a trained person picked up on craigslist , it can cost us $ 11 ~ us $ 14 per hour

For a untrained person, usually a fresh student in NYC , it can cost 8 $ per hour.

Many of the trained persons, have lot of attitude and abuse you if you offer them a low salary. Its ironic because food chains like Mcdonald's etc pay them 5.5 us$ an hour!

Once I hired a stripper ( who used to do cleaning, naked in NYC apartments) to clean my house with clothes on at 14 $ per hour!

My information is updated to present day. Presently, I am paying 12 us$ an hour. She needs minimum 3 hours every time she comes.

In BA, my land lords usually arrange me cleaning lady and I never negotiated rates directly with them. In 2007, I used to pay 8 pesos an hour and in Dec 2011, I have paid 18 pesos an hour.

scarface said:
OP doesnt want a part time maid. S/he wants a one time 2 hour shot. That can not be priced the same as the normal hourly rate for a maid that comes 2 or 3 x a week on a continuing basis. My point was that you can't expect to get a maid cheaply for that one time, 2 hour job.
Would you shlep across town in public transportation to make 40 pesos for a 2 hour job?
p.s. I paid US$100 for a 3/4 hour job once every 2 weeks in NYC last just a couple of months ago. I was just extrapolating. Okay ...maybe 60 pesos/hr.

Things do not work the same way they do in NYC in BA. And usually you can get a maid at the regular 25 peso rate even if it is for an occasional cleaning for a couple hours.

We don't have a permanent housecleaner however what we do is hire a cleaning service company to come in once a month to do a heavy cleaning and each week we do our own light housekeeping, laundry. The cleaning service sends 2 people and they are done in 3 hours, wax floors, scrub bath and kitchen and clean light fixtures. Cost $200 pesos. I would be embarassed to pay someone less than $20 to $25 pesos an hour. I mean we all complain about how much things cost so let's not forget that everyone INCLUDING housecleaners have to deal with today's prices of food, clothing, etc. When I used to have a housekeeper come each week I paid her hourly with a minimum of 4 hours and left ingredients for a sandwich, drink, and paid her bus/train fare as well. Also keep in mind that these people are in your HOME and it's to your best interest to treat them well, I am not saying you have to be friends with them but be decent.

I'm trying to figure out why it matters what scarface paid in NYC.

I'm trying to figure out who the hell would pay a cleaner 120 pesos an hour:eek:

citygirl said:
I'm trying to figure out who the hell would pay a cleaner 120 pesos an hour:eek:

20 pesos to the cleaner and 100 pesos in the pocket

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gorilla Monsoon Expat Life 1
R Expat Life 7
amsam Expat Life 0
C Jobs 62
Davidglen77 Jobs 0
Back