Clear updates about residencies in Argentina

Based on what I've learned form Bajo_Cero2 in the past week, if I had online income and I was willing to live (and lay low) in Argentina for two and a half to three years without a DNI and without having to pay income taxes during the citizenship process (without committing the "crime" of tax evasion), I would probably bypass migaciones completely and take the route to citizenship (using a good citizenship lawyer of course). ;)

The precaria is a document that enables you to live legally for 90 days while they complete the assessment. You will not receive a DNI at his point.
In what does the precaria differ from the DNI? I mean, is there any differences or they practically are the same (except the validity period)? Does the precaria lead to denial of the application in some cases OR it means that you will surely get the DNI once they complete the assessment?

And if/ when you are granted the DNI, "la fecha de radicación" would be the date of receiving the "precaria" OR the date of deliverance of the DNI?

Many thanks to you Alby!

If I understand correctly, you can start the process of applying for temporary residency at an Argentine consulate and then present your papers to migraciones in Argentina when you go there for the first time.
As far as I can tell based on what I learnt from the posts in this forum, the only cases in which you can apply outside Argentina are: the student and spouse reunification visa.

In what does the precaria differ from the DNI? I mean, is there any differences or they practically are the same (except the validity period)? Does the precaria lead to denial of the application in some cases OR it means that you will surely get the DNI once they complete the assessment?

And if/ when you are granted the DNI, "la fecha de radicación" would be the date of receiving the "precaria" OR the date of deliverance of the DNI?

Many thanks to you Alby!
The precaria is an official document that can print and carry with you. It is proof that you have certain rights in Argentina as a person taking part in a migration application process that is still underway. If you succeed in the process, Migraciones issue you a different printable document that grants you 12 months temporary residency. The date the official decides your case, and signs this second document (a date long after the date of your first precaria), is the date of radicación. The DNI is a plastic identity card. It comes to you next (perhaps a month or two later), but shows the same radicación date.

If, having assessed all your documents, they decide you don't quality, they will reject your application and you won't get the second document or the DNI.

(Bajo has said in another thread a year or so back that in those cases, Migraciónes instead issue a deportation order.)

If, having assessed all your documents, they decide you don't quality, they will reject your application and you won't get the second document or the DNI.
During the assessment period (i.e. during the precaria) if there is a problem or doubt about the documentation you submitted, Migraciones will inform you and give you time to fix the problem. If you can fix the problem (there will probably be many problems in the case of a rentista application because it is a complicated category and the Migraciones staff don't really understand it very well), you will, in the end get the second document, with the radicación date, and later the plastic DNI.

The plastic DNI doesnt seem to be any different to the second document. It is just a more practical version of it, that businesses and public entities need from you if you to transact business with them.

While reading, it came to my mind the question: Is it possible for the rentista to bring his family with him without additional requirements? Thanks in advance!

While reading, it came to my mind the question: Is it possible for the rentista to bring his family with him without additional requirements? Thanks in advance!
The crimnal backgroud check is also required for the spouse but I don't think it is required for minor children.

Valid passports are required for all family members and the passports cannot expire during the term of the visa.

If you consider applying for citizenship at some point you will need certified (state issued) copies of birth certificate (s) with the Apostille for Argentina, but, as far as I know, they are no longer required for the visa rentista.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

The crimnal backgroud check is also required for the spouse but I don't think it is required for minor children.

Valid passports are required for all family members and the passports cannot expire during the term of the visa.

If you consider applying for citizenship at some point you will need certified (state issued) copies of birth certificate (s) with the Apostille for Argentina, but, as far as I know, they are no longer required for the visa rentista.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
The birth certificate is not longer required but useful.

Are you saying that permanent residceny can be obtained (granted by Argentine migraciones) after two (consecutive) years of legal temporary residecy which was first granted and renewed once by Argentine migraciones?

Does this apply to all categories of temporary residency (including work and student)?

Also, are you sure that migraciones does not ask for evidence of either foreign or local income when the request for the cambio de categoria from temporary to permanet residency is made?

I can speak form personal experience that I was granted permanent residency on the third renewal of my temporary residency and that I was required to provide the same type of evidence of my foreign income as I did wehn I first aplied for temporary residency as well as for the first two renewals.

I know far more about the visa rentista and the pensionado that the student or work visas...

...andI don't recall reading that anyone was able to get permanent residency after having temporary residency for only two years and I haven't read that anyone was ever able to get permanent residency after having a student visa for either two or three years.

One member recently posted that someone with temporary residency based on being a student (perhaps as well as the visa rentista and the visa pensionada) could obtain permanent residency after two years, but I have serious doubts about that, especially if it was after being a student for two (or even three years).

If it is possible, I would love to hear from someone who actually has done so,
I am not sure why. It may be because of the Mercosur agreement. I did not investigate it thoroughly at the time.

I have 7 years in the country as an immigrant. As soon as I arrived I did my paperwork and paid. After 3 months of arriving, or less, I got my temporary DNI. After 2 years I went again to change the category to Permanent Residency.

Today I can apply for citizenship. But I started the process 2 years ago and I still have not been able to make much progress.

I study and work in the country. And I have been received like the best. I hope this information is useful to you. We can talk more in depth if you want. :)

Good afternoon guys,
A question that has connection with the rentista visa. How much time can the person stay outside Argentina every year so that he would be able to apply to the citizenship without problems?

Does the person with rentista visa have to pay taxes? What are these taxes and how much is it?

And when your application to the rentista visa is approved, you are given "sí o sí" one year at the beginning or that you can be given more than one year?

Thanks to everyone here!

Last edited:
Back