Clear updates about residencies in Argentina

Could the rentista visa be applied outside Argentina OR it is obligatory to be inside Argentina in order to submit your application file? Thanks in advance!

Thanks to everyone here for the precious answers! Now if you don't mind, we move on to the visa pensionado and I am going to ask questions that I think they may occur to anyone interested:

1. What are the required papers to submit?

2. What is the required minimum pension (in US dollars and pesos argentinos?

3. How much time does the process take (more or less)?

4. Are you allowed to include your family with you in the same application file?

5. Is the pension taxable? How much is the tax?

Those are the questions that came to my mind about the visa pensionado. Many thanks to all of you 🙂

Thanks to everyone here for the precious answers! Now if you don't mind, we move on to the visa pensionado and I am going to ask questions that I think they may occur to anyone interested:

2. What is the required minimum pension (in US dollars and pesos argentinos?

3. How much time does the process take (more or less)?

4. Are you allowed to include your family with you in the same application file?

5. Is the pension taxable? How much is the tax?

Those are the questions that came to my mind about the visa pensionado. Many thanks to all of you 🙂

I entered the words "visa pensionado Argentina" in an online search engine and find the following:

Under the act no 25.871, Dto. 616/2010, Dto. 70/2017 a foreign national who has a pension of at least ARS30,000, may be eligible to apply for a temporary resident visa. The visa has a validity of 1 year, renewable up to 3 years. After that, the resident may apply for permanent residency. After two years of permanent residency, the resident will be eligible for citizenship.

You will be required to prove that you receive a pension or retirement benefit from a government or an international organization of at least ARS30,000. You may include your dependents, but additional amounts may be required.

Pensionado Visa holders may establish a business or work on their own, but may not work as employees.

The visa has a validity of one year. You can renew the visa on condition that you still meet the requirements. After two renewals, you will be eligible for permanent residency.

Requirements​

- Clean criminal record. Police clearance certificate from the countries where you have resided for a period of more than one year during the last three years, together with an affidavit stating lack of criminal records.
- Entry visa stamp (if proceeding)
- Certificate issued by a government or international organization that certifies that you receive a pension or retirement, in a regular and permanent manner, as well as the amount and duration of said benefit. Proof of source of funds/income.
- 3 Payment receipts of the government pension.
- All documents must be duly translated into Spanish.

Source: https://residencies.io/residency/argentina/temporary-residency/AR2

PS: Not all of the above information may be accurate or complete as of this date.

The conditon for citizenship (two years of permanent residency) no loger applies and it may be possible to get permenent residency after two years of temporary rsidency, not three, but I am not certain.

The monthly income requirement of $30.000 ARS probably no longer applies and there may never have actually be a preset amount for the pensionado visa as compared to the rentista.

The required documents must receive the Apostille and then be translated into Spanish by a licensed tramslator.

I am not sure if pensionado visa holders cannot work as employees, but it seems logical (at least to me) that after receiving permanent residency they could.

At the least, the information in the link will provide useful information about the documentation that is required as well as the basic requirments for the visa pensionado.

Last edited:
PS: Not all of the above information may be accurate or complete as of this date.
Getting updated info (from people who recently got through this experience and want to share it) is exactly why I asked here in the forum as Google is full of misleading information, even the info published on the immigration official website is outdated.

2. What is the required minimum pension (in US dollars and pesos argentinos?🙂

This was posted in 2020, in the most recent thread I coud find with information about the visa pensionado/a:

There is no minimal income requirement for the pensionado type and never have been. As long as you have a letter confirming you are getting a govt or any legal provincial / federal pension plan monthly income FOR LIFE, it is sufficient. Whichever amount in Social Security payments you will be getting would do the trick. The only doubt remains is if they might be desperate enough to introduce a minimum for that type of visa past pandemic.

PS: Anticipating two more questions, it is not necessary to have the monthly Social Security or other "government" pension payments sent directly to a bank account in Argentina or to pesify the funds at the official rate.

Last edited:
PS2: I don't know if income derived from "private" pension plans is acceptable to migraciones for the visa pensionado and I don' remember anyone posting that they were granted the visa pendionado_a based on income from a foreign private "pension" plan.

According to my Argentine accountant, the word "pension" in Castellano applies to funds received from a government pension, including federal state entities (and hopefully, municipal entities as well).

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I think this is the best thread to post my question. I read a post on reddit, that someone with a permanent residency lost their DNI while living abroad and back in Argentina, it looks like they have to do the residency process again:

Google Translation:
--------------
Good day! Some foreigner who reads this or someone who works in immigration if they read this maybe they can help me.

I give a context: a foreign relative who has been permanently settled for more than 20 years lost his DNI, he went to the renaper to get another one, they canceled the lost one and a week later they sent him an email asking for a certificate of residence to continue with the procedure. Honestly, it cost an arm and a leg to make the certificate online, at first it did not accept the domicile certificate and asked for photos of the DNI (by that time I had lost it).. but in the end I was able to do it... the issue is that it has still been there for almost 3 months. initiation status and my family member still has no ID.

My relative has her mother living in her country of origin, luckily she is in good health but she is already a person of almost 80 years old, now if something happens and she has to go see her, can she leave the country without her DNI? Argentinian? How long can it take to give that certificate? Is it appropriate to hire a manager?

What catches my attention is that when renewing the document they never asked for that certificate. capable in the last time they implemented it.
-------------------

Now, I haven't lost my DNI and I did renew my DNI (address change) last November. I enter Argentina every 2-3 years to visit friends and extended family. Back in November of last year, I did the express foreigner DNI and when I went to RENAPER, they didn't even ask for me certificado de domicilio, literally they did everything right then and there asking for the details of the new address, and I got it in the mail shortly. I went to the official Argentina Gov't side and it's listing this as a requirement:

- Certificado de radicación emitido por Migraciones, con plazo vigente
- Según el trámite los requisitos son los mismos que se detallan para el caso de nacionales.

What exactly is the " certificado de dadicación"? Is it the document I was given stating permanent residency in 2009? Now let's say in a future trip I decide to update the address again, I need to show them this document?

I also this is part of law 25.871, but how much is this really enforced?

• c) The beneficiary of a permanent residence has remained outside the National Territory for a period greater than two (2) years or half of the agreed period, if it were temporary residence, unless the absence is due to the exercise of a public function. Argentina or had been generated due to activities, studies or investigations that in the opinion of the National Directorate of Migration could be of interest or beneficial for the Argentine Republic or that required express authorization from the immigration authority, which may be requested through the Argentine consular authorities;

Any help/clarification would be appreciated.

Back