CNN does a story about Argentina's dirty war

Napoleon

Registered
Buenos Aires, Argentina (CNN) -- Laura Feldman was kidnapped by the Argentine military on February 18, 1978. The 18-year-old was never seen by her family again, a victim of the ruthless regime that ruled Argentina from 1976 to 1983. For 31 years, her sister Ana searched for answers -- and her remains.

"Laura was politically active. She was young and had her ideals. But she didn't deserve to die," says Ana, 51.

In 2004, bones believed to be Laura's were found in a mass grave in a cemetery outside Buenos Aires. After a series of genetic tests confirmed her identity, Ana finally received her sister's bones in April 2009.

"I can now speak in the past tense: my sister was executed," says Ana. "And now that I have her remains, I can mourn her -- something her murderers tried to deny me," she says.

And so it starts. I have studied this and taken photos of disappeared plaques in the sidewalks of my neighborhood. Heard stories from locals and relatives of locals. Here's CNN's take on a group trying to find and identify the missing.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/11/17/argentina.dirty.war/index.html

Napoleon,
I´m Elina Castro Almeyra, new member, originally from BA, now back in Argentina after 34 years in Toronto and Miami Beach.
Am writing a book about the Dirty War, centered around a friend kidnapped by the military in 1976.
Thank you for posting the CNN piece about the Dirty War. Perhaps some day we may discuss the Argentine tragedy. I would love to hear your comments.
ECA

When someone tries to corrupt elected system, the system resists. Sometimes radically, sometimes slow. What is wrong with this?
Some “politically active” decided to play against current system, got busted, imprisoned or shot. How else would you fight your opposition? Ban them from their Real Estate practice or revoke their current “Jelly of The Month” club membership?

stella-negra said:
Napolean, the nice guy who thinks democratic elected leaders should be executed.

Since when have EMPERORS (including Napoleon) cared much about democratically elected leaders?

PS: If you use OPERA as you browser you will enable the spell check feature of this site and you won't make such obvious mistakes, at least when it comes to spelling.

pikto99 said:
When someone tries to corrupt elected system, the system resists. Sometimes radically, sometimes slow. What is wrong with this?
Some “politically active” decided to play against current system, got busted, imprisoned or shot. How else would you fight your opposition? Ban them from their Real Estate practice or revoke their current “Jelly of The Month” club membership?

EDIT: So you're saying that killing your opposition is a good thing?

steveinbsas said:
PS: If you use OPERA as you browser you will enable the spell check feature of this site and you won't make such obvious mistakes, at least when it comes to spelling.

Where's the spelling mistake?

Why is spelling so important to you, Steve?

English is a language that doesnt respect phonetically what is written, so how does this change your understanding of the sentence (a written i can be pronounced [ai] (site)/ (situation)/[e](bird), unlike latin languages where it always keeps the same sound. Add to this that this is an aggregative language, it incorporates a lot of words coming from other languages, but changed the writing to adapt to the local way of spelling. Why should the english spelling be more relevent than the original one.

I ll take a contrarian example to help you understand. Beef steak is undoubtedly an english word, even if one could argue that beef comes from the french boeuf. In spanish speaking countries, it is written bistek. Should you try to write on a spanish forum, would you accept to be criticized for wrong spelling because you wrote beef steak. Same for pankeke in Argentina for pancake.

Should US americans be criticised because they tranformed the s to z in most verbs ending by ize? Should they be demeaned because they write night/nite?

Stop being so rigid on spelling and concentrate on the meaning, you are on an international forum. People who keep argueing on spelling are often those who fall short of...arguments.

Thanks for your efforts.

steveinbsas said:
Napolean versus Napoleon.

Are you Dutch?

(not that that's an excuse...)

Oh yeah, true. But it's a name, not a word, so I don't really care.

Back