Coin shortage in Argentina - WSJ Article

Lenny said:
That wonderful attitude is part of the problem. :(

yes but it works wonders for me. For a while rumor had it the bus drivers were taking most of the coin.
In the town I live in the biggest super mercado is running out of coins and I guess will have to adjust his prices accordingly or come up quick with some coins of his own.
In the meantime I need coins and will continue to collect them and keep them for the bus and tolls.
Maybe Friedman could come back and sort this out with another Junta

Lee said:
Here is what you do to get change. Every time you buy groceries use a large bill and never give change...they will have to give you coins. If they complain just stare at them and shrug your shoulders. Do this a few times a week and in no time you have a whole bowl of change.

I'm with you, Lee. And I don't think that attitude is part of the problem.

the private colectivo companies run a mafioso operation with the change in this city. bearing in mind there is no shortage of change once outside the BA and las afueras. the companies sell their change to the supers, kioskos and chinos with interest. why do you think they still have those annoying, antiquated coin machines, when to install a machine that reads a card with a magnetic strip would be both more efficient and simpler for all concerned.

i had to buy a gaseosa today to get my 1.25 for my ride to work. it is really stressful now that my only means of transport to my place of work in flores is via colectivo.

diosaarenosa said:
the private colectivo companies run a mafioso operation with the change in this city. bearing in mind there is no shortage of change once outside the BA and las afueras. the companies sell their change to the supers, kioskos and chinos with interest. why do you think they still have those annoying, antiquated coin machines, when to install a machine that reads a card with a magnetic strip would be both more efficient and simpler for all concerned.

i had to buy a gaseosa today to get my 1.25 for my ride to work. it is really stressful now that my only means of transport to my place of work in flores is via colectivo.

You should read this by Tao http://www.argentinepost.com/?s=transport
Informative as always

Milton Friedman was wrong about everything else, I'm not surprised he's wrong about the sand too.

Back